[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]
[Catalog View] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Quests] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name (optional)
Email (optional, will be displayed)
Subject    (optional, usually best left blank)
Message
File []
Password  (for deleting posts, automatically generated)
  • How to format text
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, SWF
  • Maximum file size allowed is 10000 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.

File 161214694430.png - (136.69KB , 1000x850 , p1a.png )
986707 No. 986707 ID: eedbeb

On the way to your sister’s wedding, you get arrested for warp speeding through a solar system.
Expand all images
>>
No. 986708 ID: eedbeb
File 161214696644.png - (124.44KB , 1000x850 , p1b.png )
986708

Your name is Monty and you are a mouse who teaches high school math in a neighboring galaxy. You are used to getting zero respect.
Unlike your solar system, the one the Universal Positional System took you through apparently has a ban on faster than light speed travel. Just your luck.
A traffic control officer catches you right on the edge of the outer ring, and after a quick trial you are stuck in an alien planet prison until you complete a three day safe piloting course.
>>
No. 986709 ID: eedbeb
File 161214706697.png - (116.67KB , 1000x850 , p1c.png )
986709

You’re in the living room of your new cell, which looks more like an apartment than anything. The guard who dropped you off showed you how to download your schedule. Lunch is in an hour.

You have:
- A phone (access to your lawyer, schedule, and some money)
- A sweater and dress shirt
- Lower than average physical ability
- A degree in teaching

Your older sister’s wedding is tomorrow, and if you miss it, your mother will kill you.
>>
No. 986710 ID: e51896

Call your lawyer.
>>
No. 986711 ID: 094652

>Your mother will kill you
Unless your mother is literally the dictator of an oppressed nation, I think you should be fine with her. It's not like she's a familicidal cannibal or anything...

>What do
Use your one phone call to notify your sister that you were arrested for taking an illegal shortcut to get to her wedding and that you'll mail her wedding gift. Tell her to tell everyone if she wants revenge, just don't leave you here to die.
The more people know about your predicament, the less likely the guards of this corrupt prison will tack additional charges so they have a disposable convict to throw into their meat grinders.
>>
No. 986712 ID: eedbeb
File 161214831106.png - (143.78KB , 1000x900 , p2.png )
986712

>Call your lawyer

Your cell service doesn’t extend past this planet’s satellites, so the only person you can call is your lawyer. And by person you mean your lawyer is a sentient lamp. With how thoroughly minor offenses are prosecuted, you’re not surprised the courts have succumbed to automation.

It picks up on the first ring and distorted text to speech squeezes through the speaker into your delicate ear.

“Hello, this is your court appointed defense lawyer, Feiss. How can I help you?”
>>
No. 986715 ID: e7c7d3

Is there any sort of bail or way to defer the punishment to a later time?
>>
No. 986716 ID: ce39da

“Hi, I have two questions. One; if my Universal Positioning System failed to adequately notify me that the solar system it sent me through had a light-speed ban, wouldn’t it be the app that’s at fault, not me? And two; would it be possible to take all three days of classes in one day?”

I was also gonna ask about bail, but I just realized bail is only for those awaiting trial.
>>
No. 986721 ID: eedbeb
File 161215465117.png - (136.12KB , 1000x900 , p3.png )
986721

>“Hi, I have two questions. One; if my Universal Positioning System failed to adequately notify me that the solar system it sent me through had a light-speed ban, wouldn’t it be the app that’s at fault, not me? And two; would it be possible to take all three days of classes in one day?”

The line is silent for a moment.

“So you’re blaming the software.” Feiss says coldly.

Oh god. You wonder if that was insensitive. Some sort of AI racism?

“No, no, sorry, I mean I have an urgent appointment and three days of training will make me miss it. My trial was so fast that I’m not sure if I was heard fairly.”

“Terabytes of information were exchanged between the judge, the prosecution, and I. It was a perfectly adequate trial.”

You’re not sure Feiss will be much help.
>>
No. 986722 ID: e7c7d3

Ask Friess if you can still buy a wedding gift while in jail
>>
No. 986723 ID: 8a51ec

"That's... fine, but I still have an appointment within the next three days that I'm actively trying to avoid being late to."
>>
No. 986725 ID: 094652

"Terabytes? For one act of illegal speeding? Well, I just need sixty kilobytes of bureaucracy transferred to the next galaxy; if authority prevents me from getting out of here faster can you at least use that authority to formally explain why I can't be at my sister's wedding?"
>>
No. 986736 ID: e51896

Ask about bail then. How much will it cost for bail.
>>
No. 986737 ID: 9ad7a0

Ask if any of those terabytes were correspondence with your UPS. It's a witness!
>>
No. 986739 ID: cdabe3

Ask for clarification: since the lamp is supposed to be your counsel, what legal recourse do you have, and what rights do you actually have here? You don't understand what actually happened at the trial, and would like a summary. Furthermore, you weren't aware of the ban on FTL travel, but otherwise have complied with all laws as far as you know. Given the circumstances, could any clemency be given, or bail be posted?
>>
No. 986743 ID: eedbeb
File 161219441767.png - (139.80KB , 1000x900 , p4.png )
986743

>Ask about bail.

“That program is suspended for non-natives due to the high likelihood of bail jumping.” drones Feiss.

>Ask again about taking the classes in one day instead of three.

“Due to the amount of special relativity to cover, it is highly recommended that you take the full time to complete the course. However, you can take the assessment test whenever you want.”

>Ask if you can call your sister.

“Talk to your assigned officer, they should be able to arrange something.” it says.
>>
No. 986744 ID: dd40ce

Just try to take the assessment now. Maybe you can pass it?
>>
No. 986751 ID: ce39da

"I didn't mean that I want to skip the training; I meant that I want to do all three days of training in one day - in a single sitting. Is that doable for me?"

If it's at all viable, do it. You have a degree in teaching, so I'm sure you know how to take notes and look out for the important "this will be on the test" stuff. Sure, you're aware that cramming can be counterintuitive in the long-term, but we aren't studying for the long-term; we only need to ace a test and get to our destination without getting arrested again. Half this stuff can fall out the other ear after that for all we care.

Although TBH, I think that's all we're probably going to get from the lawyer.

Talk to your officer about taking one day of class followed immediately by an assessment test (assuming three days of classes in one day isn't doable). That should be enough to get a bead on their core intent in making the rules, and you can fill in the gaps with common sense.

If you have free time in between, though, do try to look for a method of escape.
>>
No. 986754 ID: f2320a

>>986721
So a trail without a hearing or questioning from me?
Did you get angry at me for saying my navigation software was faulty or not updated as it should be? I think its insulting you are comparing yourself to my map in the same way its like compare me to a non cognient fungus
>>
No. 986756 ID: eedbeb
File 161220975656.png - (89.21KB , 1000x900 , p5.png )
986756

You decide to attempt the test after cramming for one day. Lunch will start soon but you want to explore the rest of the cell before you go. Hopefully you can talk to your officer in the cafeteria.

Despite your simmering anger over your arrest, you thank the lamp and end the call. You look around the room.

You see:

-Door (locked from the outside)
-Hallway leading to bedroom/bathrooms
-TV
-Sofa
>>
No. 986757 ID: 3ed3c3

Note to self- fire Feiss once you're out.
Check the bed and bath. You may be here for a while.
>>
No. 986758 ID: 8a51ec

Thoroughly check the room for any kind of video surveillance, just in the totally unlikely scenario you try to escape or take all your clothes off
>>
No. 986764 ID: eedbeb
File 161221800936.png - (103.35KB , 1000x900 , p6.png )
986764

>Check for surveillance.

You squint at the walls and ceiling, but don’t see any cameras. The prison seems to be giving you privacy. Maybe they’re just that confident in their other security.
>>
No. 986765 ID: eedbeb
File 161221803463.png - (148.43KB , 1000x900 , p7.png )
986765

>Check the bathroom

It’s fairly bland. Toilet, sink, and shower. There’s a toothbrush in a cup next to the sink that looks used.

Wait.

The shower door is still wet. There’s someone else in the cell with you.
>>
No. 986766 ID: ce39da

Well, by process of elimination, they're in the bedroom.

If we plan to be out by tonight, then it might actually be for the best that we never enter that room. Even if a meeting is inevitable when lunch-time comes, we don't want to give our cell-mate any more time to form ideas involving us than we have to.
>>
No. 986767 ID: 3ed3c3

Yeah, let's just avoid that.
Splash some water on your face and get to work cramming. You need to be out of here in a hurry.
>>
No. 986770 ID: eedbeb
File 161222447547.png - (123.88KB , 1000x900 , p8.png )
986770

>Avoid cellmate

You have a small problem. You need a way to study, and your phone doesn’t have internet here. Apparently there are computers in the bedroom for learning after hours, but you’re not sure which bedroom is yours.
>>
No. 986771 ID: 8a51ec

Might as well take our chances by hopping in the shower, it'll calm our nerves and distract us from the horrifyingly overwhelming dread of not having any idea who our cellmate is
>>
No. 986775 ID: b1b4f3

You could go knock on a door. Try the one on the left.
>>
No. 986777 ID: eedbeb
File 161223438920.png - (64.18KB , 1000x900 , p9.png )
986777

>Knock on the left door.

There’s no reason to be afraid, whoever is in here with you was probably nabbed for some minor crime. You decide to try the left door first and knock on it with a paw.
>>
No. 986778 ID: eedbeb
File 161223441992.png - (105.71KB , 1000x900 , p10.png )
986778

The door cracks open and you see a bulbous eye staring out of the darkness. The smell of fish hits your nose.
>>
No. 986780 ID: 3ed3c3

"Sorry, my mistake!"
Retreat to the other room immediately.
>>
No. 986781 ID: 8a51ec

"Uh, sorry."
We fucked up
>>
No. 986787 ID: 5378af

Don't be rude, say hi.
>>
No. 986792 ID: 8c9f91

Just be polite and introduce yourself. You can also say how just got here and are new to this place.
>>
No. 986793 ID: eedbeb
File 161228083127.png - (139.31KB , 1000x900 , p11.png )
986793

>Apologize and introduce yourself

“Hello, uh, sorry to disturb you. I’m Monty, I was arrested for speeding and stuck here. I wasn’t sure which room was mine, so I’ll just be going now…”

The fish doesn’t blink. He emerges partway from the door to stare at you curiously.

“Almost lunch.” he says. “You coming?”
>>
No. 986794 ID: 8a51ec

"Probably, I don't know where it is though, I'm really out of it with this whole situation"
Just keep that mental note in our head that his calmness is sign he's either completely fine or one of those REALLY bad psychos who are scarily good at pretending to be normal
>>
No. 986800 ID: 3ed3c3

I thought we wanted to avoid this scenario.
>>
No. 986803 ID: eedbeb
File 161230407133.png - (133.40KB , 1000x900 , p12.png )
986803

>You wanted to avoid this scenario so you could cram physics like a nerd

“I’m good.” you say. You slowly back away towards the remaining door, so you can finally do some goddam studying and get out of here. This guy is giving you a bad vibe, but you make it into your room safely.
>>
No. 986804 ID: eedbeb
File 161230409407.png - (140.25KB , 1000x900 , p13.png )
986804

The bedroom is actually quite nice. There’s a simple bed and a standing desk/dresser against the wall. A small window on the far side gives you a view of the planet’s purple sky.
>>
No. 986806 ID: 8a51ec

As appealing as it is to stare out the window and ponder if this is a turning point in our life, we also urgently need to escape prison the legal way right now
>>
No. 986807 ID: 3ed3c3

STUDY TIME IS GO!
>>
No. 986808 ID: b1b4f3

Alright get your studying stuff out.
>>
No. 986809 ID: ca66cc

Lock your door, if you can, then study time!!
>>
No. 986811 ID: eedbeb
File 161231672987.png - (88.06KB , 1000x900 , p14.png )
986811

>STUDY

You turn away from the door, which sadly does not have a lock, and start up the holo-screen.

The terminal is intuitive and easy to use, and you get started right away with the modules you find on the desktop. Your background in math extends to the coursework, thankfully, and you’re focused on learning the Lorentz transformation when you hear a knock on the door.
>>
No. 986812 ID: 8a51ec

"I'm rather preoccupied with something right now, who is it?"
>>
No. 986814 ID: b1b4f3

Maybe it's your roommate again? If they brought you food that'd be great.
>>
No. 986821 ID: 3ed3c3

>>986812
This.
>>
No. 986825 ID: eedbeb
File 161232655123.png - (167.14KB , 1000x900 , p16.png )
986825

You holler that you’re preoccupied. Your stomach rumbles mutinously, but you’re focused and can forget about food.

“Sir? I was wondering if you were coming to lunch. The front door will lock again in a few minutes and you won’t be able to leave your cell.”

It’s an unfamiliar woman’s voice. You grudgingly open the door to see one of the guards and your roommate skulking behind her.
>>
No. 986827 ID: 8a51ec

"If you visited me just to ask about it, I assume it would be a good idea to not skip lunch."
>>
No. 986828 ID: b1b4f3

>>986825
It's harder to focus on your studies while hungry. Go get some food real quick.
>>
No. 986829 ID: ca66cc

Seems like you don't have anything to eat in your cell. Best to go have lunch.
>>
No. 986830 ID: 3ed3c3

Okay, we have time to eat. We can also take this opportunity to ask the guard about the test and getting out of here. We have a wedding to attend, after all.
>>
No. 986836 ID: eedbeb
File 161236680873.png - (140.58KB , 1000x900 , p17.png )
986836

>Go get some food real quick

You feel like if the guard is bothering to ask about it, you probably should go to lunch. You follow her out of the cell and into a long hallway. This is a good opportunity to ask questions and find out more about the prison.
>>
No. 986837 ID: 031ec6

Mention how despite this place being a prison and in comparison to the prisons back where you are from, this prison actually seems cozy... really cozy, doesnt it?
>>
No. 986838 ID: 8a51ec

The most important thing to ask right now would be about making calls to relatives so we can let our sister know why we'll probably be late
Another question worth asking is who the guard is; she seems reliable
>>
No. 986848 ID: 3ed3c3

Asking about the test should be a priority.
>>
No. 986849 ID: eedbeb
File 161237409580.png - (74.80KB , 1000x900 , p18.png )
986849

>Start a conversation

“I’m Monty, what’s your name?

“I’m Amelia.” says the husky. “I’ve been Sal’s caseworker for a few years, and since you’re only here for a few days I’ll be helping you as well.”

Sal must be your cellmate and caseworker is an awfully generous name for a prison guard. Then again…

“This place is really cozy for a prison.”

Amelia chuckles. “Yes, we emphasize rehabilitation, and studies have shown that the better we treat everyone, the less likely we’ll have recidivism.”
>>
No. 986851 ID: eedbeb
File 161237416131.png - (99.56KB , 1000x900 , p19.png )
986851

>Ask about the piloting test

“Oh, well, I’m not too familiar with the subject matter, but you can take the test whenever you want. We’ll have a short conversation afterwards and if I feel you’re ready, you’ll be released. The recommended completion time is three days, but since you have access to all the material you can go at your own pace.”

That’s good to hear and you feel yourself relax a little.
>>
No. 986855 ID: 8a51ec

"Would finishing the test in a day be reasonably possible? My sister has a wedding tomorrow and I'd do anything to make it in time."
>>
No. 986858 ID: 3ed3c3

"Well, that's a relief. I have a wedding to attend tomorrow, so the sooner I'm out, the better. Is it possible I could make a phone call? I need to let them know I might be late."
>>
No. 986862 ID: 094652

"If I fail the exam, how long do I have to wait to take it again?"
>>
No. 986867 ID: eedbeb
File 161238751058.png - (153.46KB , 1000x900 , p20.png )
986867

>"I have a wedding to attend tomorrow, so the sooner I'm out, the better. Is it possible I could make a phone call? I need to let them know I might be late."

Amelia clucks her tongue sympathetically. “I’ll get you access to a Universal phone after lunch.”

>"Would finishing the remedial course in a day be reasonably possible? If I fail it, how long do I have to wait to take it again?”

“That wouldn’t be recommended.” Amelia frowns. “But there’s no reason you can’t try. You can only take the test twice, since some people memorize the answers, and you don’t have to wait to take it again.”

The three of you reach the cafeteria, which is a pleasant, dome-like space. You grab a tray and explore the foreign food options with interest.
>>
No. 986869 ID: 8a51ec

Anything for our blood sugar is a must, sleep is going to be a lower priority than ever until we're done with that remedial course
>>
No. 986878 ID: eedbeb
File 161239898771.png - (159.11KB , 1000x900 , p21.png )
986878

You pile your plate with fruit, some kind of stuffed bun, and a spherical grain. Amelia waves you over to a table where Sal is also sitting.
>>
No. 986880 ID: 3ed3c3

Well, for lack of a better option.
Join them.
>>
No. 986882 ID: b1b4f3

Go eat with them, be a little social but try to eat quickly and get back to your room to study.
>>
No. 986883 ID: eedbeb
File 161240619109.png - (139.20KB , 1000x900 , p22.png )
986883

As you approach the table, you see that the silvery shape in Sal’s hands is a dead fish. Sal stares at you blankly while picking at its skin.

You sit down across from Amelia and start hurriedly eating your food. It's decent, and you try to keep your eyes down.
>>
No. 986884 ID: 3ed3c3

If it weren't for the fact you can't leave, this place wouldn't feel any different from a mid-range hotel. Not bad, but not where you plan to spend much more time if you can help it .
>>
No. 986887 ID: 6b4ca2

penetrate the sealed fortress
>>
No. 986900 ID: b1b4f3

>>986883
Hmm? Ask if he's gonna just bite into that fish or something.
>>
No. 986918 ID: ce39da

Don't prod the fish on anything - he's in here way longer than you for a reason. Just finish your meal, inquire about bringing food and drink back to your room, energy drinks, etc., and do so if you're allowed. You've ensured you aren't studying on an empty stomach, and that's all that matters here.
>>
No. 986928 ID: eedbeb
File 161245537281.png - (114.66KB , 1000x900 , p23.png )
986928

Once you’re full, you stuff some leftovers in your cheeks for later.

“I’d like my phone call now, please.” you say.

Amelia nods. “Alright, I’ll take you there. Sal, I trust you to go back to your room once you’re done.”
>>
No. 986929 ID: eedbeb
File 161245539608.png - (146.10KB , 1000x900 , p24.png )
986929

Amelia takes you to what looks like an old fashioned phone booth outfitted with a high tech communicator. It takes a few tries to get the operator to locate your sister, but eventually she picks up.

“Now’s not the best time, Monty.” she says breathlessly, before you can get in a word. “We’re preparing for the reception this evening and it’s crazy.”

“Yeah, sorry.” You say. “I just wanted to warn you that I might be late to the wedding tomorrow.”

“What? Why?” she asks.

A. Tell the truth
B. Lie
>>
No. 986930 ID: b0e140

Tell the truth. If they dont believe it, maybe they can look up the caller id to confirm your statements. Let them know that you are going to try to get there on time if you can get a piloting test that lasts for a few days done in just one day.
>>
No. 986931 ID: bff29a

Lying is bad form and not even advantageous in this situation. Just tell them the truth of how you got arrested for warp speeding.
>>
No. 986933 ID: 8a51ec

Screw lying, we're better than that
>>
No. 986935 ID: ce39da

Honestly, a lie might make us look worse if it's not as serious as "got arrested."

Don't lead with "I'm in prison" and give your sister a chance to cut you off before you can explain, though. Explain that your UPS took you through a no-lightspeed system, and now you have to test out of a three-day safe flying course by tonight if you want the authorities to release you in time to reach the service.
>>
No. 986942 ID: eedbeb
File 161246496588.png - (144.78KB , 1000x900 , p25.png )
986942

>Truth

You quickly explain the situation to your sister, with emphasis on the fact that it wasn’t your fault and that you’re trying your hardest to make it to the wedding.

She’s silent for a few seconds.

“It’s okay if you can’t make it, Monty.” she says gently. “I won’t hold it against you.”

“Mom will throw a fit though, she always says I’m avoiding the family.” you grumble.

“I’ll talk to her. Don’t kill yourself trying to get out of there early. I really gotta go, talk to you later.”

You hang up. It’s time to study.
>>
No. 986943 ID: 3ed3c3

Well, that takes some pressure off, at least.
Now let's hit the books!
>>
No. 986944 ID: 8a51ec

Quickly thank Amelia for the hospitality while making our way back, it's the most we can do to show our appreciation without wasting time
>>
No. 986946 ID: eedbeb
File 161246809366.png - (122.91KB , 1000x900 , p26.png )
986946

Amelia takes you back to your room. You thank her and she leaves to check on Sal.

Once you’re back at the computer, you see that there are three modules that you can attempt at the moment.

A. Special Relativity Calculations (You were half way through this one)

B. Space-time Distortion Impact on Society

C. Piloting Rules and Regulations
>>
No. 986947 ID: 8a51ec

Finishing off the last half of Special Relativity Calculations would leave a smaller window to be interrupted
>>
No. 986954 ID: 3ed3c3

Always finish what you started.
>>
No. 986955 ID: 04d10e

I know how we can get this done faster, do all three categories at the same time! Open them all in diferent browsers

Or just do rules and regulation before continuing to remember stuff.
>>
No. 986963 ID: eedbeb
File 161248726547.png - (85.03KB , 1000x900 , p27.png )
986963

You continue where you left off with Special Relativity. It isn’t too bad and you’re good at physics so even when things get strange with warp speed logic, you correctly answer all the practice questions.
>>
No. 986964 ID: eedbeb
File 161248730314.png - (76.93KB , 1000x900 , p28.png )
986964

Now that you’ve finished the first module, you can:

-Keep going! (Impact on Society or Piloting Rules)
-Take a break (Shower, use your phone, talk to Sal)
>>
No. 986965 ID: ce39da

Keep going; Impact on Society is next in the order. (It seems like a natural progression of Explaining the Bad Thing > Why It's Bad > Specific Rules to Avoid It.)
>>
No. 986966 ID: 8a51ec

Space-time Distortion Impact On Society seems easier done than said, we can probably squeeze it in before needing to destress
>>
No. 986969 ID: 3ed3c3

Pedal down! Let's get through this !
>>
No. 986977 ID: eedbeb
File 161249951348.png - (136.98KB , 1000x900 , p29.png )
986977

You’re a little tired, but you eat your extra food and get started on the Impact on Society section.

It’s fairly unpleasant. Instead of equations you have to slog through articles about the effect of warp radiation on nearby planets, and the potential for time stretch sickness. There are several pictures for shock value.

Several hours have passed since lunch, and you hear Amelia come to take Sal to dinner. They don’t disturb you this time, and you’re almost done reading by the time they return.
>>
No. 986978 ID: 094652

Okay, pop-quiz yourself on the first module.
Also, surf the internet for articles on this topic, see if you can get in touch with friends who can help you research faster.
>>
No. 986979 ID: f96c5c

Id say after the impact section, take a break, or maybe sleep. It would suck if you overwork yourself, and youre too tired to make it to the wedding it and crash or something. But yeah, test time?
>>
No. 986980 ID: b1b4f3

>>986977
Take a little break between sections to decompress.
>>
No. 986981 ID: 3ed3c3

Right. Break time. Take some time refresh, then get back to it.
>>
No. 986982 ID: 8a51ec

We've well-earned ourselves a break at this point, we just need to persevere
>>
No. 987001 ID: ce39da

Pomodoro Method says breaks actually increase productivity. Take a few minutes to do jumping jacks, finish your snacks, etc. Do the practice questions for Impact after that, then it's on to Rules.
>>
No. 987002 ID: eedbeb
File 161253897747.png - (121.75KB , 1000x900 , p30.png )
987002

>Take a break

You rub your eyes and turn away from the screen. A shower or a seat in that comfortable sofa in the living room would be nice after being on your feet for so long.

You jump a little when you open the door and see cold fishy eyes staring back at you. Sal is standing in the hallway, blocking your path.
>>
No. 987005 ID: 8a51ec

"How long were you standing here?"
>>
No. 987006 ID: 19da02

ask Sal what their deal is.
>>
No. 987010 ID: 87f492

Just be nice and ask how are they going.
>>
No. 987012 ID: f96c5c

*nervous mouse squeak*
>>
No. 987013 ID: eedbeb
File 161255159777.png - (119.08KB , 1000x900 , P31.png )
987013

A nervous squeak escapes from your mouth before you collect yourself. You don’t want to be rude, but you’re tired and stressed so your tone is more hostile than usual.

“How long were you standing there?” you say.

Sal doesn’t blink. Maybe he can’t blink, since he doesn’t have eyelids.

“Off schedule.” he mutters.
>>
No. 987014 ID: 8a51ec

"I was busy with the remedial test, if you're talking about dinner."
I think we should brace for bad touch right now
>>
No. 987015 ID: eedbeb
File 161255624932.png - (75.42KB , 1000x900 , p31b.png )
987015

>>987014
not to worry, this is a wholesome story of a mouse who doesn't want to be late to a wedding
>>
No. 987016 ID: 3ed3c3

>>987013
The schedule can fly a kite. I got places to be that aren't here.
>>
No. 987017 ID: 094652

"My schedule says go to wedding tomorrow or mother will strangle me to death."
>>
No. 987019 ID: 78fa53

Ask about what schedule they mean.
>>
No. 987025 ID: eedbeb
File 161256393916.png - (134.11KB , 1000x900 , p32.png )
987025

You think he’s talking about the schedule you have on your phone, which you haven’t even looked at, let alone tried to follow.

“You were there when I explained it to Amelia, I have to make it to a wedding tomorrow or my mother will strangle me, so I’m not following the schedule. Can you please move?”

Sal doesn’t budge.
>>
No. 987028 ID: 2ddb7b

Squeak on by and continue this non conversation on the comfy sofa
>>
No. 987029 ID: 8a51ec

We'd just get in trouble for shoving Sal out of the way, so try to squeeze past him
>>
No. 987030 ID: 3ed3c3

Okay...
This guy is giving me a bad vibe. What does he want? If he plans on getting physical, it'd be wise to not get mistaken for the aggressor.
>>
No. 987031 ID: b1b4f3

>>987025
Look at the schedule on your phone.
>>
No. 987032 ID: 846cf5

Just check the schedule if it'll make him happy
>>
No. 987035 ID: eedbeb
File 161256824714.png - (113.61KB , 1000x900 , p33.png )
987035

>Check your schedule

Keeping one eye on Sal, you take out your phone. To your surprise, you have a missed call from Feiss, your lamp lawyer. You always have your phone on silent, so you must have missed the vibration while you were studying.

You open the schedule app and scroll to the current hour. Apparently you’re fifteen minutes late for Social Enrichment with Cellmate – 1 hour.
>>
No. 987036 ID: b1b4f3

>>987035
45 minutes... that's longer than the usual study break but I guess you should do it so your cellmate doesn't cause problems for you.
>>
No. 987037 ID: 8a51ec

I guess that technically falls under taking a break, but it's going to be really awkward if we're still committed to taking a shower
>>
No. 987038 ID: 3ed3c3

Okay then.
Let's spend some time with our cellmate and call Feiss back.
Not that I tnink either of those things will help us, but path of least resistance, right?
>>
No. 987041 ID: eedbeb
File 161257181922.png - (141.27KB , 1000x900 , p34.png )
987041

>Socialize

Okay, your weird cellmate who gives you a horrible feeling wants to hang out? Well then you’re going hang out. You are going to have just the best time.
>>
No. 987042 ID: eedbeb
File 161257185138.png - (167.04KB , 1000x900 , p35.png )
987042

You move to the living room and quickly commandeer the sofa. Sal sits on the ground and says nothing. Seems like it’s up to you to get a conversation started.
>>
No. 987043 ID: b1b4f3

>>987042
Ask him what he does for a living.
>>
No. 987044 ID: 8a51ec

Ask him about his domestic situation, we might be able to bond over mutually not wanting to piss off our mothers
>>
No. 987055 ID: 6e4236

"Why do you speak so sparcely, Sal?"
>>
No. 987058 ID: 3ed3c3

"So what are you in for? There. I have done us both the favor of getting the cliché question out of the way. You're welcome."
>>
No. 987063 ID: eedbeb
File 161258235421.png - (123.36KB , 1000x900 , p36.png )
987063

>”So what are you in for?”

“Murder.” Sal says, deadpan.

“Ah, uh, okay.” The fish definitely gives off the vibe, but it’s still unpleasant to hear it out loud. “Did you have like a job or do anything before that?”

“No. Just came from college.”

Sal doesn’t make eye contact with you and barely speaks louder than a whisper. Is he shy or something? You’re used to students who don’t talk much during class and you power onward.

“So I bet you’re not the family favorite either.” you joke. Zero response.
>>
No. 987065 ID: 8a51ec

Him being this reserved for a murderer puts everything in a whole new context, there's no way he isn't the perfect person for us to get vulnerable with and share our frustrations and regrets
>>
No. 987070 ID: b1b4f3

>>987063
Uh... okay. Ask if he gets along well with Amelia.
>>
No. 987072 ID: 3ed3c3

I cannot believe I'm saying this, but I'd rather be talking to Feiss.
Call him back just to get out of this "conversation."
>>
No. 987073 ID: 53d551

>>987065
I am getting the same vibes. Seems like the guilt of what he did is absolutely destroying him. Something probably pushed this guy too far and he cracked.
>>
No. 987082 ID: 104e3d

Ask if he was falsely accused.
>>
No. 987086 ID: eedbeb
File 161262613412.png - (147.27KB , 1000x900 , p37.png )
987086

>Keep trying

“Do you get along with Amelia?” you ask.

This question gets you a twitch. “Yeah, she’s cool. Has execution rights on me.”

“Uh…”

“If I ever murder again, she kills me.”

You shiver. “What if you’re falsely accused or something?”

Sal gives a small, wheezing snicker.
>>
No. 987087 ID: 8ca4b0

...on second thought, Sal can have the nice comfy couch. The floor is looking a lot more tolerable and less likely to get you murdered for sitting there and letting someone else have the couch.

Maybe ask more details about his crime for context? Maybe he is actually a nice person who came across a bad person and needed to kill the bad person in a life or death situation or something, and was just caught it in something bad
>>
No. 987090 ID: 6e4236

Why did you kill, Sal?
>>
No. 987092 ID: 3ed3c3

Why are we are so curious about this little puke? Who cares?!
Call Feiss to see what the plastic weirdo wants and get away from this freak! WE NEED TO GET TO THAT WEDDING!
>>
No. 987094 ID: 8ca4b0

>>987092
We probably care because we dont wanna make him angry enough to kill us for treating him as an outcast, and we dont want to make him angry for not following the scheduled meeting that he wants
>>
No. 987097 ID: eedbeb
File 161264057181.png - (145.06KB , 1000x900 , p38.png )
987097

“Did you have a good reason, uh, for killing someone?” you ask hopefully.

Sal lies down flat on his stomach and wriggles back and forth like he’s pretending to swim. “No.” he says.

Defeated, you slump back in your sofa and consider your next move. You should really call Feiss back and then return to studying, but you don’t want to upset Sal. You’re not afraid the fish will get violent, more that he’ll keep pestering you.
>>
No. 987102 ID: 422cea

Great he's getting fish all over the good flooring. I don't think he's even wearing pants.
>>
No. 987103 ID: 8a51ec

We really should be the one talking here, he's basically caving our skull in with the fact he's a listening type
>>
No. 987104 ID: b1b4f3

>>987097
Well ask him permission to take a phone call, then.
>>
No. 987108 ID: e51896

>>987103
Yeah, talk about your problems and stuff in more details.
>>
No. 987110 ID: 3ed3c3

>>987104
Seriously this.
>>
No. 987134 ID: 9e9acf

ask Sal about his previous roommates?
>>
No. 987147 ID: eedbeb
File 161266395766.png - (112.95KB , 1000x900 , p39.png )
987147

>Get free therapy

You are tired, stressed, and losing your patience with this half-naked fish.

“Look, I don’t know why you’re bothering to do these activities when you don’t even talk much. I get that this is a nice place to stay but I have to get to my sister’s wedding. I have to.”

You put your head in your paws.

“I didn’t even want to go, really. That’s why I was using warp so much, because I procrastinated leaving and was going to be late. My sister is awesome, but I hate traveling and if it weren’t for my mom implying I’m such a disappointment for being a high school teacher, I wouldn’t have even tried.

Sal stops air-swimming forlornly.
>>
No. 987148 ID: eedbeb
File 161266397564.png - (108.84KB , 1000x900 , p40.png )
987148

“Even though I called my sister, I bet the rest of the family doesn’t believe that I’m really in prison and thinks this is just some lame excuse. I mean, I’ve dodged a few reunions in the past but come on, prison?”

You give a deep sigh.

“I’m going to call my lawyer now.” you say. “It shouldn’t take too long, and we can still hang out afterwards.”

“Ok.” The fish looks unfazed by your rant.

You call Feiss, and the lamp picks up on the first ring once again.
>>
No. 987149 ID: 8a51ec

Ask about the call he tried to make while you were busy studying
>>
No. 987158 ID: e51896

Consider that maybe you got yourself arrested on purpose as a form of self-sabotage in order to not go to the wedding. Then disregard that thought and ask your lawyer why they called.
>>
No. 987170 ID: eedbeb
File 161267000629.png - (142.35KB , 1000x900 , p41.png )
987170

For a horrifying moment before either of you speak, you wonder if you got yourself arrested on purpose as a form of self-sabotage.

Feiss interrupts your thought.

“Hello Monty.”

“Hey,” you reply. “I saw you called me earlier, what was that about?”

“I am required to tell you that a time bubble attributed to your ship has appeared in a populated area on a neighboring planet. Though no fatalities have been reported yet, there is a nonzero chance that a death by starvation or despair could occur.”
>>
No. 987171 ID: e51896

Anxiety level rising. Try to convince yourself it wasn't your fault. Ask what happens now.
>>
No. 987172 ID: 8a51ec

"The last thing I need right now is the mental burden I might indirectly kill someone."
>>
No. 987191 ID: 094652

"H-hold on, I gotta ask the internet if this is a thing."
Search the internet to see the exact odds of a time bubble occurring due to FTL abuse, accounting for any previous abuse in the UPS that led to the overreacting laws against FTL travel, then save a note so you don't get that specific question wrong on the exam.

... Wait a minute...
"Feiss? Could a large FTL-enabled take a non-FTL pleasure cruise through the time bubble? Say, one large enough to host a wedding?"
>>
No. 987200 ID: b1b4f3

>>987170
What's a time bubble?
>>
No. 987206 ID: 3ed3c3

Feiss, are you trying to get me in more trouble? Because your performance so far has been utterly miserable.
Now look. There's no way they can pin that on me, and even if there were, there's no way I could have known it was going to happen. I didn't even know warp was banned in this system!
>>
No. 987215 ID: eedbeb
File 161271188304.png - (126.97KB , 1000x900 , p42.png )
987215

You recently learned from the Impact on Society module that a time bubble is a phenomena caused by warp distortion rippling through space time. Though usually small, a bubble can have terrible effects on any caught in its range, either by slowing down or speeding up the perceived passage of time.

“Are they sure it’s my fault?” you ask.

“There is 95% confidence that the distortion signature matches your ship.” Feiss smoothly.

“I really don’t need this right now.” you groan. “Is this going to make my sentence worse?”

“No, it will not, though hopefully you reconsider rushing through the course material, since you should take the time to reflect on your actions.”
>>
No. 987217 ID: ce39da

"Trust me; I'm way ahead of you on the whole 'regretting' thing. I wouldn't have even used warp in the first place if I hadn't put this trip off for so long, but that's in the past now. It's early departures for me from here on out. Thank you."

Hang up and ask the fish: "Now, was there anything else you wanted to talk about or do, or can I go back to studying now?"
>>
No. 987222 ID: 9e9acf

return to socialization time with Sal. look for a TV perhaps, maybe put on a news channel if you can to keep an eye on the time bubble situation. try to think of something to break the weird silence between you and Sal, who seems not to notice you.
>>
No. 987223 ID: e51896

Yeah, check the tv for the news. You need to know the consequences of your actions.
>>
No. 987224 ID: 3ed3c3

"Feiss, believe me, I've started regretting a lot today."
Hang up and mentally remind yourself to fire this dim bulb once you're out.
>>
No. 987225 ID: eedbeb
File 161271893354.png - (149.55KB , 1000x900 , p43.png )
987225

“Believe me, I’ve been reflecting a lot today.” you mumble, and hang up. It isn’t your lawyer’s fault you’re such an idiot, but you still feel bitter towards the lamp. You drop your phone in your lap and collect yourself for a moment.

The TV might have news about the time bubble, but before you can find the remote, Sal is leaning over your armrest.

“You like fishing?” he asks.
>>
No. 987226 ID: 031458

Dunno. Never done it.
>>
No. 987227 ID: e51896

realize that Sal is a fish and him asking if you like going fishing is probably the equivalent of asking if you like murdering.

Just say you haven't played "Go Fish" card game in a long time since you were a child, but it was a fun distraction you guess...
>>
No. 987228 ID: 86aaf2

"Only where I'm 100% sure no sophonts live, above or under the water, why?"
>>
No. 987238 ID: 3ed3c3

"I'm not sticking hooks in you, Sal."
>>
No. 987241 ID: eedbeb
File 161273020368.png - (121.87KB , 1000x900 , p44.png )
987241

This feels like a trick question. “Dunno. Never done it.” you say.

Sal bobs his head excitedly. “We should go fishing.”

“I’m not sticking hooks in you, buddy. Do you mean the card game, or..?”

“I like fishing.” he says.

“I hope you’re talking about non sentient fish.”

Sal smiles at you.
>>
No. 987244 ID: 3ed3c3

"Look, man, I can't tell if this is an act or if you're really this cracked. I'm having a bad, shitty, awful, no-good, rotten, miserable day, I don't see it improving any time soon, and I just can't deal with whatever it is you've got going on. Unless there's something that I absolutely have to be involved with out here, I'd much rather just go back to my room, okay?"
>>
No. 987245 ID: b1b4f3

>>987241
Well, he's got however much time you've got left in the socialization time slot to show you fishing.
>>
No. 987253 ID: 031458

Wait. Earlier. Time bubble.

Could you enter it to get to the wedding in time?
>>
No. 987266 ID: eedbeb
File 161274023151.png - (176.81KB , 1000x900 , p45.png )
987266

You check your phone. Still 15 minutes of socializing left.

“Tell me about fishing.” you say.

To your surprise, Sal launches into an explanation of trout fishing that is a welcome distraction to your horrible day. You sit listening placidly until your phone beeps to mark the hour.

You feel somewhat rested. Do you go back to studying or continue your break?
>>
No. 987268 ID: e51896

ehhhh... we can spend a little more time on our break... not that we're using this as an excuse to not go to the wedding and deal with our scary mother or anything.
>>
No. 987269 ID: b1b4f3

See if you can get the TV on and find some news about the time bubble.
>>
No. 987270 ID: e51896

>>987269
Oh yeah, this.
>>
No. 987272 ID: 8a51ec

Could always keep conversing with Sal, we've got plenty of time now
>>
No. 987286 ID: 3ed3c3

>>987266
Pushing yourself too hard is not going to help you.
Take a little more time - 30 mins. tops - to rest up, then get back to studying.
>>
No. 987287 ID: ce39da

If you're rested, you're ready to go back to studying. Get to it.

(Be sure to let the fish man down gently, though.)
>>
No. 987309 ID: eedbeb
File 161275673856.png - (143.91KB , 1000x900 , p46.png )
987309

You stay on the sofa for a few minutes. And then a few more. It’s slowly sinking in that you really don’t want to go to your sister’s wedding. And your motivation to go read about all the ways you could be screwing some poor alien over with time shenanigans is at a new low.

Sal goes to his room and you flick through the unfamiliar TV channels, tensing whenever you see the news. It’s not like your mug shot is going to show up, you hope.
>>
No. 987310 ID: eedbeb
File 161275675036.png - (113.53KB , 1000x900 , p47.png )
987310

Eventually you return to your room, drained. The time difference means you’re even more exhausted than usual and you sit on the bed instead of studying.
>>
No. 987311 ID: 094652

Come on, one last practice quiz before you go to sleep!
>>
No. 987312 ID: 8a51ec

Our reasons not to cry are zero at this point
>>
No. 987322 ID: b1b4f3

Well that didn't work. See if you can find something on your phone to cheer yourself up with.
>>
No. 987326 ID: 3ed3c3

>>987310
When's the wedding tomorrow? If it's early, then you might be in trouble, but otherwise, we might be able to salvage this.
Get some sleep, but set your alarm for an early start. Get cracking on studying first thing in the morning and power through.
Take the exam as soon as you can and we might just be able to get out of here in time.
>>
No. 987332 ID: e51896

Maybe you shouldn't worry about the wedding anymore, and instead focus on just finishing up the lessons in the pace the prison wants you to take, if only to set a good example of responsibility to your students at the highschool you teach. For now, check the schedule, and see at what points can you squeeze in some tests.
>>
No. 987333 ID: f2320a

>>987215
MUHAHAhaha this is perfect more time means more study time its perfect and if anyone is in there we can keep them company
>>
No. 987350 ID: 07ed53

>>987326
This seems like the most reasonable course of action
>>
No. 987354 ID: eedbeb
File 161280342361.png - (92.79KB , 1000x900 , p48.png )
987354

When you feel like crap, it’s better to just go to bed and get up early to have a fresh start. The wedding is in the evening, so you’ll have enough time to finish your work.

As you settle down to sleep, you wonder if anyone has ever tried to use a time bubble on purpose. They’d have to be totally insane, and you pat yourself metaphorically on the back for not being one of those people.
>>
No. 987358 ID: 3ed3c3

>>987354
Good night, little mouse.
Dream of peanuts and cheese.
>>
No. 987359 ID: afe7de

Sweet dreams Monty
>>
No. 987360 ID: 4e63c3

monty is haunted by the harm he might have caused. dreams of time bubbles warping people into distorted monsters filled with hooks and strung up with fishing line. Sal's wide smile and empty fish eyes beam down at you from above it all. you phone is ringing, ringing, ringing, impossibly loud in your sensitive mouse ears. you awake in a cold sweat, having thrashed your prison blankets to the floor. your phone is ringing, you see it's your lawyer, Feiss, the lamp. you were asleep for 12 hours, you realize.
>>
No. 987364 ID: eedbeb
File 161281474249.png - (329.80KB , 1000x900 , p49.png )
987364

>Dream
>>
No. 987370 ID: 3ed3c3

>>987360
Take it easy, Max Payne.
>>
No. 987371 ID: 8a51ec

Dreaming about Amelia executing Sal
>>
No. 987372 ID: eedbeb
File 161282083582.png - (118.33KB , 1000x900 , p50.png )
987372

You wake up with crusty eyes and a rumbling stomach to the sound of your phone alarm. The sun is still down and you bump around in the unfamiliar room as you put on your day old clothes.

Should you:
-Try to find something to eat
-Take a shower
-Start studying
-See if anyone is available
>>
No. 987373 ID: 7d9f5e

Eat, shower, check schedule.
>>
No. 987375 ID: 3ed3c3

>>987372
Hop on the studying first thing.
>>
No. 987376 ID: b1b4f3

>>987372
Eat before studying. Consider skipping the shower.
>>
No. 987379 ID: 6e4236

I think a quick shower before studying would be the best idea.
>>
No. 987382 ID: c4f635

E A T
>>
No. 987383 ID: 4e63c3

check on Sal. go eat some food. forget the shower. the wedding is tonight. you've gotta get the hell out of here. save the shower for last, studying is more important.
>>
No. 987385 ID: eedbeb
File 161283067131.png - (167.20KB , 1000x900 , p51.png )
987385

Food is definitely your first priority. Since you missed dinner yesterday, you feel unpleasantly hungry.

To your surprise, your schedule says that you can go to breakfast now if you call a guard to electronically open the door. Because you’re a low profile case, you probably get more freedoms than Sal, though the guard does ask to make sure the fish isn’t sneaking out with you.

The cafeteria is mostly empty at this hour and you have a peaceful meal of frosted cereal and scrambled eggs. You flick through the rest of your schedule while you eat.

There’s a recreational hour mid morning that includes tutoring time for your modules. Lunch has tighter restrictions and you don’t bother looking past that.
>>
No. 987386 ID: eedbeb
File 161283070909.png - (162.80KB , 1000x900 , p52.png )
987386

You walk back to your cell, get the door unlocked, and almost make it to the shower before Sal intercepts you. The fish must be an early riser.

The Impact on Society module is waiting where you left off. Another hour or two and you should be done.

Should you:
-Look at the time bubble articles in more detail
-Speed through
>>
No. 987387 ID: b2f8e2

> look at the time bubble articles in more detail.

We don’t want your conscience killing you even more if you end up making the same mistake twice.
>>
No. 987388 ID: 3ed3c3

>>987386
We have the time, so be thorough. Aside from putting your fears to rest, it could be helpful on the exam.
>>
No. 987389 ID: 8a51ec

We should look through the articles in more detail, just so we don't have to do this again
Also, "wholesome" story
>>
No. 987391 ID: b1b4f3

You should take a selfie to prove you were in jail, in case your family doesn't believe you.
>>
No. 987395 ID: ed0fb9

>>987391
Would be a good idea, except this prison is way too cozy to be considered a prison where Monty is from, they wont believe the photo...

But we can still take a selfie just for fun.
>>
No. 987396 ID: eedbeb
File 161284459258.png - (145.02KB , 1000x900 , p53.png )
987396

Before you get into the strange world of sci-fi physics, you decide to take a selfie to have photographic evidence that you went to prison, albeit one that was basically a hotel. Even if your family doesn’t believe you, you’ll gain cool points from your students.

Sadly, your stubby arms and oblong snout means the photo turns out less than perfect.
>>
No. 987399 ID: 3ed3c3

>>987396
Snapchat filters, ho!
>>
No. 987400 ID: b1b4f3

>>987396
Maybe the guard will let you take her picture too.
>>
No. 987406 ID: 1ba5ee

I guess we can squeeze in the recreational hour for the tutoring.

Also consider that this prison isnt just therapy for you, but for Sal as well. You may want to consider taking some activities with him if it will improve his mental health and make him not want to murder anyone again.
>>
No. 987422 ID: 7e2680

get the guard to take a picture with you during lunch for a non crappy evidence photo. also more detail on time bubble articles
>>
No. 987429 ID: eedbeb
File 161288951709.png - (84.96KB , 1000x900 , p54.png )
987429

You start reading.


Since the advent of commercial spaceflight, the rise in high acceleration stationary spheres, known informally as time bubbles, has troubled many experts.

Faster than light travel is the industry standard, which necessitates the use of the warp drive. The destruction of space-time fuels the drive’s reality defying speeds, at a cost.

Due to the vastness of space, most warp drive radiation disperses harmlessly. If a ship passes too close to a solar system, however, extremely dangerous pockets of space-time can form on contact with the planet’s surface.

>>
No. 987430 ID: eedbeb
File 161288956588.png - (109.64KB , 1000x900 , p55.png )
987430


Depending on the size and manufacturer of the vehicle, the resulting time bubble can range from a few meters across to an entire kilometer.

Those familiar with special relativity with understand that the reference frames of those on the inside and the outside of the bubble are opposite. Both groups feel that time is passing normally for them, while time is dilated on the other end.

Those who don’t realize they’re in a time bubble can accidentally cross the boundary and disjoint their nervous system, resulting in death.

Luckily, nonliving objects can be passed through the boundary, which is how supplies are delivered to the unfortunate bubble residents. Time bubbles can last for minutes or days, and if action is not taken quickly, unnecessary suffering will occur.

This article recommends that stricter universal restrictions be placed on private warp travel, to prevent potentially fatal incidents.

>>
No. 987432 ID: eedbeb
File 161288968498.png - (120.70KB , 1000x900 , p56.png )
987432

That was dry, but informative. You answer some multiple choice questions to round out the course and sit back with a sigh. You only have Piloting Rules left, which includes a flight simulation portion and makes you a little anxious. Flying isn’t your strong suit.

The recreation/tutoring hour sounds awfully appealing, and if you can track down Amelia to take a better picture, that would be great as well.
>>
No. 987433 ID: 8a51ec

Getting that picture with Amelia is first priority, and we should probably spend some time with Sal after
>>
No. 987438 ID: b90dc8

2, 4, 6, 8, it is time to recreate!
>>
No. 987448 ID: b90dc8

you originally misread that last portion as "fight" simulation. startled, you're jolted into a horrific daydream where Sal rips you to shreds in a computer program. Then you look again and only slightly relieved to realize it says "flight" simulation instead.
>>
No. 987449 ID: eedbeb
File 161290126763.png - (150.03KB , 1000x900 , p57.png )
987449

Sal could use some extra socializing as well. The fish is starting to grow on you despite his shower stealing tendencies, and you leave your room to go find him.

You spot Sal in living room, nose to the corner.

“Hey Sal, want to come to tutoring with me? You can call Amelia and we’ll go together.”
>>
No. 987451 ID: b1b4f3

>>987449
I'll take that as a no.
>>
No. 987452 ID: 8a51ec

"Are you just occupying yourself right now or are you upset?"
>>
No. 987466 ID: 3ed3c3

>>987449
"...Okay, cool. See you later!"
>>
No. 987471 ID: eedbeb
File 161291547268.png - (164.56KB , 1000x900 , p58.png )
987471

After a few moments of awkward silence, you turn away. You give yourself credit for trying. Sal doesn’t move while you stealthily open the door and leave the cell.

In the long hallway lined with other cells, you realize you don’t know how to get to the rec room.
>>
No. 987472 ID: b90dc8

Is there anyone around you can ask for directions? Maybe a sign that can point you the right way? It's also not to late to go back and see if Sal knows anything.
>>
No. 987473 ID: e7c7d3

Knock on a door and ask one of the occupants for directions
>>
No. 987474 ID: b1b4f3

How complicated can it be? Wander around until you find a guard or something and ask them.
>>
No. 987475 ID: 12b116

wander around until you find somebody to ask
>>
No. 987478 ID: ce39da

"Uh, hey Sal, do you know how to get to the rec room?"
>>
No. 987479 ID: 3ed3c3

>>987471
Wait, if the door isn't locked, won't Sal escape and won't it be our fault?
>>
No. 987480 ID: eedbeb
File 161292336649.png - (111.74KB , 1000x900 , p59.png )
987480

You hear the door automatically lock behind you, and you curse yourself for not asking Sal for directions.

You wander around the hallways until you run into a tall owl alien. Probably another prisoner, judging from the lack of uniform.

“Hello, excuse me.” you say.

“Uh, hi.” the owl says warily in a soft, high voice.
>>
No. 987482 ID: ce39da

"Do you know where the rec room is? I think I've gotten lost."
>>
No. 987487 ID: 4569cf

Ask this owl if they know Sal and what they think of him. Also, yeah, directions to rec room
>>
No. 987488 ID: eedbeb
File 161293374184.png - (102.84KB , 1000x900 , p60.png )
987488

> "Do you know where the rec room is? I think I've gotten lost."

The owl squints at you. “If you don’t mind me asking, what are you in for?”

“Oh, speeding, basically. I have a really short sentence, my name’s Monty.” you reply hurriedly.

The owl noticeably relaxes, deflating her feathers. “I’m Violet. Corporate tax evasion. You can follow me, I’m going there to socialize.”

You join Violet’s side as she leads you down the hall and to a spiral staircase.
>>
No. 987489 ID: eedbeb
File 161293375728.png - (121.62KB , 1000x900 , p61.png )
987489

At the top of the stairs, Violet breaks the silence.

“Hope you don’t mind me asking about that stuff, there are some real crazies around here.” she says.

“Tell me about it, my cellmate is some weird murderer.” you laugh.

Violet stops in her tracks.
>>
No. 987491 ID: 0fbdcd

"...or something. Honestly, hard to read the guy."
Either Sal is notorious and she thinks his bad vibes have rubbed off, or she thinks you're judgy.
>>
No. 987492 ID: b1b4f3

Sorry, that was no laughing matter.
>>
No. 987493 ID: 8a51ec

"Yeah, me too. He seems nice enough."
>>
No. 987495 ID: 0fae41

lol her butt's hanging out of her pants.
>>
No. 987527 ID: 817f97

>>987489
Yeah, I don't like it either, but he's who they stuck me with for whatever reason.
>>
No. 987530 ID: e85a08

"Unless he was just messing with me or something."
>>
No. 987536 ID: eedbeb
File 161297499219.png - (137.50KB , 1000x900 , p62.png )
987536

“Sorry.” you say hurriedly. “I shouldn’t joke about that, they just stuck me with him. Honestly, I’m not sure if he’s telling the truth…”

“Is it the fish?” Violet asks.

“Yeah, Sal.”

Violet makes a face. “He’s not welcome among the other prisoners. Don’t say you’re associated with him.”
>>
No. 987538 ID: e51896

Hey now, stick up for Sal, he needs the support from you to be a better person. Treating him like an outcast might make him reduce back to a lower mental state and kill again. tell her "I dunno, he isn't bad once you get to know him, he was just the other day telling me about fishing... as in fishing for non sentient fish of course."
>>
No. 987539 ID: 86aaf2

I mean, he obviously has some mental...something going on. Why do others treat him the way they do? Did he do something in particular?
>>
No. 987540 ID: 07ed53

There's literally no reason to stick up for Sal. He's creepy as all fuck and apparently also is a murderer. It might be sad that there's definitely something very wrong with him, but that doesn't mean you have to be his PR guy.
>>
No. 987542 ID: 3ed3c3

>>987536
"Associated with" is a little strong.
"Forced into proximity" is better. "Trapped with" is even closer.
>>
No. 987543 ID: 3ed3c3

>>987540
I mean, this for real.
There is no conceivable reason for us to rep the little freak. He's a convicted murderer, he's invaded our personal space more than once, and his behavior has been damn creepy.
It's unfortunate if there's actually something wrong with him, but it isn't our problem outside of having to share a cell with him.
>>
No. 987545 ID: ce39da

"Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'll be out of here soon, but I want to keep my head down in the meantime. Honestly, I don't feel safe around him, even if he does seem almost friendly at times."
>>
No. 987548 ID: 0fbdcd

"Thanks for the advice. I won't mention it. Feel bad for the guy, though. Clearly something... not quite right, there. Like, more than you'd expect."
>>
No. 987549 ID: eedbeb
File 161299174793.png - (122.65KB , 1000x900 , p63.png )
987549

>"Thanks for the advice. I won't mention it. Feel bad for the guy, though. Clearly something... not quite right, there. Like, more than you'd expect."

Violet ushers you to the side.

“You’re not from here so it makes that you don’t know, but the fish is notorious. With the way the execution system works, we don’t usually get serial killers, but this guy managed to avoid capture long enough that he got multiple people. And he ate most of them. His lawyer got him into prison, but the general agreement is that he shouldn’t exist.”
>>
No. 987550 ID: b1b4f3

>>987549
He... ate them...? They were fish too, weren't they.
>>
No. 987553 ID: 07ed53

are you in fucking danger rooming with him?
>>
No. 987554 ID: 8a51ec

"Was there... any rhyme or reason to it? I'd hate to get eaten, but that would be preferable to what I'm expecting if I don't get out of jail today."
>>
No. 987565 ID: 094652

"I take it the mental hospital is far worse than this place... there is a mental hospital in this system right?"
>>
No. 987568 ID: cdabe3

>>987553
this is important to know!!!
>>
No. 987570 ID: 3ed3c3

"...He likes fishing. Oh, I knew just from the way he said it. Does he only go after other fish? Am I in danger?"
>>
No. 987571 ID: 6943b4

"Why would they put a guy with minor offense in the same room with a serial kiler?!"
>>
No. 987572 ID: 3ed3c3

>>987571
A bunch of machines put us here. Maybe they see no difference between the potential harm of warp travel and the actual harm of a serial killer.
>>
No. 987574 ID: e2f5cc

Well, we aren't a fish and Sal isn't in max security so you're probably fine. The man clearly isn't alright in the head, and while that doesn't excuse the murder and cannibalism it does mean you should be as good of an influence as you can be to him while you're here, especially since Sal seems to like you.
>>
No. 987575 ID: eedbeb
File 161299803687.png - (131.20KB , 1000x900 , p64.png )
987575

Violet’s word’s sink in, and you start to panic. You’ve been living in a cell without a lock on your door with a serial killer and nobody told you.

“Am-am I in danger?” you gasp.

Violet shakes her head. “He only went after fish and he’s had a clean record for the few years he’s been here, though I wouldn’t trust him.”

You hunch against the wall, suddenly claustrophobic in the clean, modern prison.

“Why would they even put me in a cell with him? I’m just a math teacher.” You tug at your whiskers in distress.

Violet shrugs. She looks a tad uncomfortable that you’re having a breakdown.
>>
No. 987577 ID: ce39da

"Ugh... I... I can even imagine how he did it, based on what he said... I... I need a moment." Find a trash can or sink or something.
>>
No. 987579 ID: 3ed3c3

We have GOT to get out of this place. We need to finish studying and get out before that fish kills us. Forget the wedding. This is about our personal health and safety.
>>
No. 987580 ID: a26b32

Think about how Sal has acted towards you so far. None of it implies a motivation to inflict harm on you, hell, he wanted to take you fishing. If he was displaying any murderous intent, they wouldn’t have trusted him with a cellmate. His strange behavior may be from a chronic lack of social interaction, that’s likely given he lives in exile from the other prisoners. While you see him as a dangerous criminal, he may see you as the only person (accepting Amelia, who’s duty to guard would be a natural wet blanket) he’s had to talk with in a very long time. I’m not saying you should have a sleepover with him, but please consider that he’s a living thing too.
>>
No. 987584 ID: 0fbdcd

Take a few deep breaths. You're gonna be outta here within twelve hours. It's highly unlikely that he'll try to murder you in that span of time. You won't even have to sleep with one eye open because you won't have to sleep here again!
Thank the owl for the info and try to focus on calming down so you can enjoy your rec time.
>>
No. 987587 ID: b1b4f3

>>987575
You're fine. Just don't antagonize him I guess.
...will any fish be attending the wedding?
>>
No. 987590 ID: 031458

Hey, hey guy. Breath. Chill.
This place rehabilitates, he's been here a few years and is probably quite a bit better. Even if he's not you are not the kind of person he'd go for.
They wouldn't put you in there with him if they thought it was dangerous.
To you he's just a weird guy. You're safe.
Chill the fuck out.
>>
No. 987593 ID: 6943b4

We gotta have a serious talk with Amelia and Mr. Lamp about this after we're done with the tutoring.
>>
No. 987594 ID: 3ed3c3

>>987593
OH YEAH! Feiss, what the fuck, dude?
>>
No. 987600 ID: eedbeb
File 161300797513.png - (112.65KB , 1000x900 , p65.png )
987600

You take a few deep breaths. You’ll be gone soon, and Sal hasn’t shown any signs of aggression. If you don’t bother him, it should be fine.

Now you have even more reason to talk to Amelia, besides wanting a photo. Feiss probably wasn’t the one who put you in that room.

Violet waits for you to calm down, then starts walking down the corridor.
>>
No. 987601 ID: eedbeb
File 161300799038.png - (113.53KB , 1000x900 , p66.png )
987601

The two of you finally arrive in a spacious room with tables set aside for different activities. A few prisoners are there, talking or playing games. The only guard appears to be the tutor, judging from the loose paper and pencils at his table.

Violet leaves you to go chat with a spiny lizard. You have can:

-Ask the tutor for piloting help
-Use the flight simulation machine in the corner
-Socialize
>>
No. 987602 ID: 8a51ec

We just had a bit of a terrifying revelation, we should socialize a bit to take it easy
>>
No. 987603 ID: b1b4f3

>>987601
Getting your work done faster means you get to leave faster and get away from Sal. Go talk to the tutor.
>>
No. 987604 ID: 9b3514

Talk with the tutor, maybe try your hand at the flight sim. I wonder if they’ve patched the brazil hole yet.
>>
No. 987605 ID: 3ed3c3

>>987601
Go to the tutor. If getting to the wedding wasn't enough incentive to get out of this gilded cage, then being shacked up with a known serial killer should light a fire under our ass.
>>
No. 987608 ID: eedbeb
File 161301347076.png - (153.80KB , 1000x900 , p67.png )
987608

>Talk to the tutor

The tutor is an old hare named Pepper. He brightens up when you mention piloting and leads you to the flight simulator.

It’s styled like an old fashioned racing game, more fighter jet than minivan. You gingerly get into the seat while Pepper sits next to you and starts up the machine.
>>
No. 987615 ID: 4ee69e

Start simulation
Start remembering the fact that the time bubble you created from your ship had hurt or maybe killed innocent people as being behind the wheel of something similar to your ship is reminding you of doing that terrible thing.
Get anxiety, have a panic attack, fail simulation.
>>
No. 987621 ID: 0fbdcd

Have terrible flashbacks to that time you ran over like three cones while trying to parallel park when you got your pilot's license.
>>
No. 987624 ID: 094652

Remember the time your sister had sex in the backseat
>>
No. 987625 ID: eedbeb
File 161301886948.png - (169.78KB , 1000x900 , p68.png )
987625

During the tutorial, you fumble with the more complicated controls and drive straight into an asteroid.

On the second try, the memory of the time you almost failed your pilot’s license test makes your sweaty hands slip on the wheel. The way the hand plastic seat feel reminds you of your first ship, the one where you walked in on your sister having sex in the backseat. You fail.

Pepper doesn’t seem to mind your flustered apologies. He calmly gives you tips on maintaining your field of view while checking the many glowing screens on the dashboard.
>>
No. 987626 ID: b1b4f3

>>987625
Think of mom's spaghetti, and focus.
>>
No. 987627 ID: 6943b4

Remember your training.

Find your center.

Focus your senses.

Life is an aileron roll and you are ready to spin.
>>
No. 987628 ID: 8a51ec

Resist the urge to let our focus drift somewhere else and concentrate on the sim, we can think about Amelia naked when we have some privacy
>>
No. 987629 ID: 0fbdcd

Remember to not hit the turbo button. That's what got you in this joint in the first place.
>>
No. 987630 ID: 3ed3c3

Just relax.
Think of your sister's smiling face when you actually show up to her wedding.
Imagine cruising out of here in your ship, wiser and better for the experience.
Imagine Feiss's outraged ranting when you fire his cheap, plastic ass.
>>
No. 987638 ID: e51896

Remember mother
Hit the turbo button
>>
No. 987639 ID: e85a08

Dump your laser battery into Andross' face and save the galaxy
>>
No. 987662 ID: 031458

Do a barrel to roll.
>>
No. 987666 ID: 864e49

>>987625
>you walked in on your sister having sex in the backseat
Do not bring that up at the wedding.
>>
No. 987676 ID: 5df1f3

>>987666
Unless that's how you met her fiance. In which case never let either of them live it down.
>>
No. 987677 ID: eedbeb
File 161305748814.png - (131.52KB , 1000x900 , p69.png )
987677

You really don’t want to think about the wedding or your mother right now, so you focus on Pepper’s careful instruction. After an hour of practice, including a heavy traffic scenario, you feel much better about your chances.

Your time must be almost up when Pepper switches you to the dogfighting simulation “for fun.” The guard chuckles while you squeak and completely fail to dodge the enemy lasers. Eventually he lets you go, and you follow the rest of the prisoners back to the residential area.

There’s enough time before lunch for you to attempt the test, but that means going back to your cell, which is where Sal is lurking.
>>
No. 987681 ID: e2f5cc

Go on little mousey, become friends with the fish. You may be the one who starts him into the path of rehabilitation, considering he seems to like you.
>>
No. 987686 ID: e51896

Sal only kills other fishes. You should be fine.
>>
No. 987695 ID: 8a51ec

It would be a good idea to attempt the test while what we've learned is fresh in our mind, and it leaves plenty of time after lunch for us to think about Amelia in private
>>
No. 987696 ID: e51896

And don't forget the selfie with the guard first!
>>
No. 987697 ID: 5df1f3

Look, they wouldn't have housed you with him if they thought it would be any serious threat. Anything else aside, this place seriously seems to have a well-developed and well-run penal system.
Just speedwalk through the livingroom, to the computer, and get to work.
>>
No. 987706 ID: eedbeb
File 161306651075.png - (115.58KB , 1000x900 , p71.png )
987706

>Go take the test

You cautiously open the cell door, unlocked by guard request, and peer into the living room. Sal isn’t there, and you hurry down the hallway to your bedroom.
>>
No. 987707 ID: eedbeb
File 161306652067.png - (166.87KB , 1000x900 , p72.png )
987707

You open your door and—

Oh. Hello Sal.
>>
No. 987709 ID: 8a51ec

"I'm going to assume you're in my room because you wanted to intercept me about something."
>>
No. 987710 ID: afe7de

“I was actually going to take my test, is something up Sal?”
>>
No. 987711 ID: e51896

Find out that Sal went into your test, and got the answers wrong on purpose in order to make you stay here.
>>
No. 987715 ID: 0fbdcd

Whaddya want.
>>
No. 987718 ID: b1b4f3

>>987707
Sal why are you in my room.
>>
No. 987724 ID: 4e13f0

"Oh. Hi, Sal. What are you...?"

"Off schedule," Sal says, his large, blank eyes staring unseeingly as he writhes past you into the hallway. His damp and slimy texture gives you the creeps.
>>
No. 987726 ID: eedbeb
File 161307338437.png - (125.12KB , 1000x900 , p73.png )
987726

>”Do you need something?”

Sal is shaking slightly, hands tugging at his hoodie.

“Can we hang out?” he mutters.

This is an important choice. If you hang out with Sal, you won’t have time to take the test twice, but you’ll help the fish on his path to rehabilitation. If you say no, Sal will leave you alone and you can take your test.
>>
No. 987727 ID: ce39da

You’re confident enough in your studies that leaving Sal alone to do it twice is actually more likely to complicate matters. Hang out.
>>
No. 987728 ID: 3ed3c3

This piscine pain in our pancreas has been a consistent bother and danger since we got here. He's killed and eaten who knows how many people, and whatever's wrong with him isn't going away with one session of socializing. There's nothing to be gained from helping this evil, little bastard, and we owe him sweet, lovely FA.
So, no. I say leave him to the mercy of the judicial system. The fact that we got shacked with this whackjob is bad enough. It isn't and shouldn't be our job to try and rehabilitate the resident serial killer.
>>
No. 987729 ID: 8a51ec

As bad of an idea as it is, we really should get on the good side of the corpse-eating murderer if we end up staying here for a while
>>
No. 987730 ID: 07ed53

I think we can pass the test. Let's not let him get even more unhinged.
>>
No. 987732 ID: 3ed3c3

Y'all are really gonna sabotage our chances just to bum around with a murderous fish?
>>
No. 987733 ID: b1b4f3

>>987726
From what I've seen of this guy's behavior, he's got some kind of serious social anxiety, and he's being mistreated by the other prisoners so he's not in a good environment.
Help him.
>>
No. 987734 ID: f8fa51

Talk to Sal. We shouldn't be treating our two shots as opportunities to fuck up the first one anyway. We should be trying to take the test early once to try to get to the wedding on time, then if that fails we should resign ourselves to taking the whole three day course and taking it again properly.
>>
No. 987735 ID: 1b94c6

Hang out with Sal! He may have killed fish before, but he’s trying to rehabilitate and is being shunned by the other prisoners, plus he hasn’t been malicious to you at all
>>
No. 987738 ID: 0fbdcd

Our conscience would bother us if we blew him off when he's clearly asking for help.
Be on your guard, but talk to the fish.
>>
No. 987739 ID: 4e13f0

Hang out with Sal. You have a morbid curiosity about him. Things are looking less and less likely to shake out in your favor for arriving on time. If you make it to the wedding at all, at least you'll have a cool story to tell as an excuse about how your roommate in prison was a cannibalistic serial killer. Plus, Sal honestly doesn't seem that bad. He's grown on you.
>>
No. 987742 ID: eedbeb
File 161308100476.png - (145.63KB , 1000x900 , p74.png )
987742

>Hang out

Sal might be scary and weird, but he’s also clearly lonely.

“Yeah.” you say. “Sure.”

Suggest a fun activity to put in the hang out montage
>>
No. 987743 ID: 07ed53

tiddlywinks
>>
No. 987744 ID: b1b4f3

>>987742
Also if his rehabilitation fails he might kill again.

Uhh, hangouts... well, it needs to be something you can do in here. Can't go hang out with Sal in the rec room or something where other prisoners can mess with you.

Card games?
>>
No. 987745 ID: 6943b4

Dance!

All the bad times I'm going through, just,,
Dance!

Got fire on my heels tonight, babeh!
>>
No. 987751 ID: 4e13f0

checkers. flight simulation racing. making arts and crafts together. playing truth or dare. discussing Sal's favorite fish bait and line rig combos. oh wait. maybe not that last one.
>>
No. 987752 ID: 4e13f0

PLAY GO FISH
>>
No. 987754 ID: 0fbdcd

Got any video games on the computer?
>>
No. 987762 ID: eedbeb
File 161309163190.png - (169.03KB , 1000x900 , p75.png )
987762

>Tiddlywinks
>>
No. 987763 ID: eedbeb
File 161309163987.png - (180.99KB , 1000x900 , p76.png )
987763

>Card Games
>>
No. 987764 ID: eedbeb
File 161309164889.png - (189.98KB , 1000x900 , p77.png )
987764

>Dance and Scream
>>
No. 987765 ID: eedbeb
File 161309165802.png - (122.29KB , 1000x900 , p78.png )
987765

“Glad you two are having fun.” Amelia says cheerfully as she opens the cell door. “It’s lunch time.”
>>
No. 987768 ID: 8a51ec

Looks like we'll be going to lunch with Sal, maybe we can even include him in that selfie
>>
No. 987771 ID: b1b4f3

Have a quick lunch again so you can take the test and get back home.
>>
No. 987772 ID: e2f5cc

consume sustenance
>>
No. 987773 ID: 0fbdcd

score CLAP that CLAP selfie CLAP
Eat lunch with Sal. Feel reinvigorated and like you can take on the world, or at least a test.
>>
No. 987774 ID: 1b94c6

Selfie time! Include Sal!
>>
No. 987775 ID: eedbeb
File 161309920649.png - (170.10KB , 1000x900 , p79.png )
987775

Breakfast was a long time ago, and you eagerly fill up on nourishing carbs.

“Hey Amelia,” you say, mouth full. “Can I take a picture with you to prove I went to prison?”

“Still planning to leave today?”

“Yeah, I’m going to take the test right after this.” You pack your cheeks with snacks again. “And then, um, I’ll call you and you’ll clear me to go, I hope.”

Amelia considers you, tapping a paw on the table. “We can take the picture now.” she says, then scoots around to sit next to you.
>>
No. 987777 ID: 8a51ec

No way in hell we aren't including Sal, both for the sake of his social needs and because we've ironically ended up closer friends with him than Amelia
>>
No. 987783 ID: f8fa51

Besides, you can say you were cellmates with a serial killer and mean it. That's not going to come up in a lot of social situations, but it's the kind of street cred that will last a lifetime.
>>
No. 987785 ID: 094652

Just be careful not to post this stuff on social media, you could be registered as a POI and get your life ruined even more.
And do some research on laws about photos in jail!
>>
No. 987787 ID: b1b4f3

I would hesitate to call Sal a friend. It's... probably not a good idea to show your friends and family a picture of you and Sal chumming it up, in fact.
You can totally take a selfie with both him and the guard and then make a second picture with him cropped out to share with friends. Or two pictures and only show off the one with Amelia.

Maybe he doesn't want his picture taken though.
>>
No. 987826 ID: 0fbdcd

Take three pictures: one leaning to get the guard, one leaning to get the fish, then stretch your arms to get them both.
We can debate whether we want to show off any with Sal in them on the way to the wedding.
>>
No. 987827 ID: eedbeb
File 161314528202.png - (146.65KB , 1000x900 , p80.png )
987827

>Include Sal

“Hey, want to be in this picture?” you ask Sal. “Er, if you’re allowed to be.”

“Prisoner identity is public information, though you’ll want to be careful who you show the photo to, for your sake.” Amelia says.

You stubby arms make for an awkward angle, but you manage to snap a convincing photo.
>>
No. 987828 ID: 07ed53

Having a convicted murder in the photo is definitely proof you've went to prison all right
>>
No. 987829 ID: 031458

That's actually a really good photo.
At least now if you fail the test you'll have a legitimate excuse for your inability to make it.

Though shiiit if you do make it you'll certainly have a neat story to tell now with this!
>>
No. 987830 ID: 8a51ec

>>987829
Speaking of the test, we should go do it right away
>>
No. 987842 ID: cc9256

Ok hurry over to take the test and pray you pass! Think wedding thoughts
>>
No. 987843 ID: 0fbdcd

Test time.
>>
No. 987848 ID: eedbeb
File 161315697065.png - (127.74KB , 1000x900 , p81.png )
987848

>Take the test

Picture obtained, you hurry back to your cell and start up the test. It’s two hours long, divided into three sections. Once you’re done, you’ll have just enough time to make it to the wedding.

The outcome of this test could be estimated from, say, rolling a ten sided dice. Since you took extra time to study, your chances have been increased and you have a 70% chance of success.
>>
No. 987849 ID: eedbeb
File 161315698293.png - (130.44KB , 1000x900 , p82.png )
987849

>Fail

You failed.

You are going to be late to the wedding.
>>
No. 987850 ID: 8a51ec

About that totally unlikely scenario we checked the room for cameras in case of...
>>
No. 987851 ID: e65753

Look, maybe the wedding will be delayed. It depends on your sister's personality.
For now, just re-read section 3 repeatedly and then re-quiz yourself on sections 1 and 2.
DO NOT FAIL THE RETAKE.

You also need to ask yourself if you are so afraid of your mother that you'd murder an innocent just to please her.
>>
No. 987852 ID: 3ed3c3

I TOLD YOU
I TOLD YOU ALL
YOU DIDN'T LISTEN
YOU BLEW IT
I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY
>>
No. 987853 ID: cc9256

alright, time to break out of prison.
>>
No. 987854 ID: 031458

Even if you are not there for the ceremony, if you make it to the reception at all you can avoid the "Didn't come to my wedding" stigma from your sister. No one will remember you being late, but they will remember your absence.

You could cram for a few hours and try again, but you risk that second fail. Meanwhile if you just study and take it tomorrow or the next day, you can at least get back to your life, mostly uninterrupted.

I wouldn't be surprised if you would be suck here for a couple weeks if you failed twice.
What would happen if that were the case?
Do you have a job you'd be fired for? Rent or bills that would go unpaid? Pets that would go untended? What do you do for a living? What's your home life like?
These things need to be considered before you Trish ahead again.
>>
No. 987855 ID: b1b4f3

>>987849
Welp. Let your sister know.
>>
No. 987856 ID: b820ec

Alright, that’s not so bad. The important thing is that you are genuinely endeavoring to be there for the wedding. If you show up at all, which you will, you’ve proven you want to be there for your sister. Proven it to yourself, and to her. And if anyone else (your mother) wants to give you flak, they can suck Sal’s fish stick. Speaking of, now you have a little more time to hang out with Sal and Amelia, they seem cool. When you get out you should definitely visit once in awhile.
>>
No. 987858 ID: 7eb947

Scream.
>>
No. 987859 ID: b303b0

Be careful while doing the flight simulation. Take a deep and measure yourself while doing it. Easy does it.
>>
No. 987860 ID: 094652

Also, ask for therapy. Now.
>>
No. 987861 ID: eedbeb
File 161317115780.png - (145.54KB , 1000x900 , p83.png )
987861

The heavy weight of failure pushes you to the floor. You honestly weren’t expecting to fail and it takes a few tries to restart your tired brain and think about your next move.

Even if you managed to escape, you don’t have access to your ship. Also you are a pathetic small man with no muscles who’s not used to lying.

You’ve already called your sister to prepare her for this scenario. There’s no reason the wedding would be delayed, but you can still visit her afterwards and pray your mother isn’t around to yell at you.

School’s on break, so you’re not worried about missing work if you’re stuck here a few days longer. Nothing to do except prepare for the test again and enjoy the rest of your stay.
>>
No. 987862 ID: 8a51ec

Curling up in the fetal position while having a cold shower is always therapeutic
>>
No. 987863 ID: b303b0
987863

Oh, nay thee, I say!
I have not one, not three, but TWO contingency plans!

Plan A: Muster your saddest, most puppy-eyed and bereft-of-hope face and ask Amelia if someone can drive to the wedding instead, please please please, we need this.

If that fails,

Plan B: Ask Sal that Amelia is a fish in disguise and very, very yummy, then joyride the first ship you can find and Get. To. That. Wedding!
>>
No. 987864 ID: eb1fcc

why don't we just call in a space uber?
>>
No. 987865 ID: 3ed3c3

Words cannot express how angry I am.
If we hadn't wasted out time with fucking Sal, we could have been out of here.
But NOOOO! We just had to fuck around with the psychotic sea food and fuck ourselves over.
At this point, I'm just completely spent.
Good job, people. You snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
Hope it was worth it.
>>
No. 987866 ID: 7eb947

Well, shit.
Take a breather, let the failure wash over, take time to come to terms.
We flunked the practical part, the flight sim. Is there time in the day to get tutored under legally-distinct Peppy Hare again and have another shot?
>>
No. 987867 ID: eedbeb
File 161317779490.png - (106.44KB , 1000x900 , p84.png )
987867

>Get someone to drive you to the wedding

Fellas, hate to be a downer here, but you’re in jail.

>Come to terms with your failure

You should call Amelia, get some talk therapy, and try to schedule more flight practice with Pepper. You will. You just.

You just need a moment.
>>
No. 987868 ID: b303b0

Puppy-eyed plea for escort to wedding under custody, babyyyyyy!
>>
No. 987869 ID: 8a51ec

>>987868
This really is our best option at this point, it could get us there on time without leaving behind everyone we've met in jail
>>
No. 987870 ID: 3ed3c3

>>987868
>>987869
WE
ARE
IN
PRISON
>>
No. 987873 ID: e2f5cc

>>987870
prisons cannot legally hold you without your consent
>>
No. 987874 ID: 3ed3c3

>>987873
I can't tell if you're joking or if you actually believe that, and that concerns me.
>>
No. 987875 ID: 6943b4

Oh, know we are in a prison, but it a very nice prison with very nice people who can be reasoned with and Monty has been a very good boi.
>>
No. 987877 ID: 0fbdcd

They're not going to let us out of jail unless we seem to have sufficiently reformed, and they measure that reformation by passing our fucking driving exam, which we did not. We're not gonna be able to cute our way out of this one, boys.

...unless we can. This prison system is all about reform, right? Maybe it's worth calling our lamp to see if there's any other potentially achievable way to prove our reform to the system.
>>
No. 987883 ID: 7bb82a

It is okay to cry
>>
No. 987884 ID: eedbeb
File 161318878602.png - (146.17KB , 1000x900 , p85.png )
987884

>Call Amelia

You fumble for your phone and press it to your trembling ear.

“Hey Monty.” Amelia says cheerfully.

“Hi. Um.” You grit your teeth to stop from sobbing like an idiot. “I didn’t pass the test, and I still really need to go to the wedding, is it okay if I go and come back..?”

Amelia sighs. “I can’t clear you to leave. I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine,” you gasp. “Is there, someone I can talk to about stuff, right now?”

“I’ll be over in a moment.” she says.
>>
No. 987886 ID: 73451a

Try not to cry from frustration, cry anyway.
>>
No. 987890 ID: 7bb82a

Try to think of topics to talk about to get to the root of your problems for your upcoming therapy. Your mother seems to be a huge issue to address, that should be something very important to bring up. But who knows, maybe your problem may run deeper than just your mother. You did say you're used to having zero respect from the beginning... that isnt really something you should get used to...
>>
No. 987891 ID: 0fbdcd

It's alright to be upset. Amelia isn't a real therapist or anything, but at the very least it will be good for you to vent and decompress.
>>
No. 987907 ID: 031458

What would be worse: Missing the wedding but being free in a couple days, or haveing a time bubble appear here, allowing you to make the wedding but also trapping you here for a year?
>>
No. 987908 ID: 12b116

Ok I know this would be the lamest possible thing, but could we video chat to somebody's phone or something for the wedding? That'd basically be the most pathetic way to attend the wedding, but it could technically count as attending.

Also don't feel bad about hanging out with Sal instead of doing the extra studying. It would have increased our chances of success, but seeing as how it wasn't a guarantee, we still could have done that extra studying and still failed.
>>
No. 987911 ID: eb1fcc

>>987908
oh

oh that would actually work out wouldn't it

wouldn't be an IDEAL solution, but it would do it
>>
No. 987914 ID: eedbeb
File 161323249210.png - (164.52KB , 1000x900 , p86.png )
987914

>Cry
>>
No. 987915 ID: eedbeb
File 161323251258.png - (123.55KB , 1000x900 , p87.png )
987915

>Talk

Once you’ve run out of tears, you sit back and rub your forehead. Crying always gives you a headache and a runny nose, but the emotional catharsis makes up for it.

“I’m a loser.” you mumble. “Can’t even fly right.”

“You’re not a loser.” Amelia says softly.
>>
No. 987917 ID: 0fbdcd

You did your best to both improve the life of a marginalized weirdo and also fulfil your family obligations. You're a victim of poor circumstances, not a loser.
>>
No. 987918 ID: e51896

mention how your mother certainly makes you feel that way.
>>
No. 987920 ID: e2f5cc

Apologize for crying, then bring up >>987908's idea. And remember Monty, your life isn't over because of this, it's just an inconvenience for a little while, worst case you have to use some sick days at work.
>>
No. 987922 ID: eedbeb
File 161323987190.png - (144.63KB , 1000x900 , p88.png )
987922

“Yeah, I dunno, feel like it sometimes. I don’t have the best relationship with my mom and I’m letting down my sister and being a math teacher isn’t exactly glamorous.”

“You’re educating the future, that’s very important.” Amelia says promptly.

“Wish I’d get paid more if I was so important.” You wipe your nose. “Is there some way I can set up a video conference with my sister?”

Amelia frowns. “I’m afraid it would be too expensive. You can use the universal phone again, if you want.”
>>
No. 987923 ID: 0fbdcd

You should. Call her and tell her you're not gonna be able to make it on the day of. Are there any celebrations afterwards you could get to in time?
>>
No. 987928 ID: e51896

You could call, but you should first make sure you are not a emotional wreck first before calling. It wouldn't be a good idea to make your sister sad on her wedding day by being emotional over the phone.

Continue your conversation with Amelia to try to get your emotions out of your system first. Talk more about your personal issues. Amelia seems to respect you enough to listen.

But make a promise to yourself that when you get out of prison, you will find your sister and her husband/wife the best most expensive gift you can afford ever to make up for not being able to show up.
>>
No. 987937 ID: e85a08

Apologize to her and emotionally blurt out that you blew your chance because you felt bad for a cannibal murderer.
>>
No. 987938 ID: eb1fcc

>>987937
nah, don't do that one. We... don't actually feel bad about doing that. It was the right thing to do, even if it cost us.
>>
No. 987939 ID: e51896

>>987938
Agreed. He needs to be rehabilitated, and we needed to help. Ignoring him would have probably made him worse, and would probably put him on a murder spree in the prison for making him think he is a rejected outcast.
>>
No. 987953 ID: eedbeb
File 161326100967.png - (118.29KB , 1000x900 , p89.png )
987953

You want to calm down more before calling your sister, and you take a few shuddering breaths.

“If I hadn’t been messing around with Sal this morning I could have taken the test twice and been okay.” You ball your hands into tiny fists. “I wanted to help rehabilitate the guy, though, it felt like the right thing to do.”

“Oh.” says Amelia. “Well, I really appreciate you being so considerate, but outside of scheduled socialization hours you don’t have to do that. You’re not responsible for him.”

“What? What if he snaps and murders someone though?”

Amelia gives a one shoulder shrug. “Still not your problem."
>>
No. 987956 ID: 3ed3c3

>>987953
Is that or is that not exactly what I told you all? And you didn't listen.
>>
No. 987957 ID: 094652

Well, you can't let yourself snap and cause a bunch of murders, can you?

But yes, find a solution to phone about sending a holo.
>>
No. 987958 ID: 8a51ec

"That's a really uncomfortably morbid view to have on indirectly getting someone murdered"
>>
No. 987960 ID: e51896

"I guess maybe I wanted to help him to prove that I wasn't a failure, to have some sort of respect from somebody..."
>>
No. 987965 ID: b1b4f3

>>987953
>still not your problem
Uh... really? Wouldn't that apply to her as well?
>>
No. 987975 ID: e2f5cc

Am I missing something? You seem to be acting like your life is over when all that's happened is that you missed your sister's wedding and you'll be in the slammer a little while longer.

You can even look at this as a sort of good thing, since Sal has markedly improved over only a few days spending more time with him may do really good things, and sometimes doing a good thing is it's own reward. I mean a real reward is probably better but you take what you can get.
>>
No. 987976 ID: 7eb947

We weren't trying to keep them from having a murder spree, or whatever. It just felt like the right thing to do.
>>
No. 987977 ID: eedbeb
File 161326819855.png - (111.05KB , 1000x900 , p90.png )
987977

"That's an uncomfortably morbid view to have on indirectly getting someone murdered." you say mutinously.

Amelia tilts her head to the side to consider you, small smile on her face. Your eyes are mostly dry and now you’re starting to feel mad.

“You didn’t even tell me he was a murderer when I got here. I could be in danger, right now.” the frustration of the past day makes you raise your voice.

Amelia doesn’t react to your shouting. “I would never put you in danger.” she says. “I only meant that it’s my job to look after Sal, and you shouldn’t put his needs above yours.”
>>
No. 987980 ID: e51896

>“You didn’t even tell me he was a murderer when I got here. I could be in danger, right now.” the frustration of the past day makes you raise your voice.

That was probably a bad sentence to raise your voice in. Sal could have probably heard that.

just take deep breaths to calm your anger and ask if you can call your sister again.
>>
No. 987981 ID: b1b4f3

It was the right thing to do.
"It's not your problem". Isn't that sort of thinking why you're here? Because you didn't care enough about other people and broke the laws of reality too close to an inhabited planet?
>>
No. 987982 ID: e51896

>>987981
Very good point. See how she reacts to you saying that.
>>
No. 988003 ID: eedbeb
File 161327667159.png - (77.31KB , 1000x900 , p91.png )
988003

You change tactics. “Isn’t the whole point of this place to care about people? What’s wrong with caring about Sal’s well-being?”

“I didn’t mean any offense by my comment, your caring shows you’re a tender soul. That said, you shouldn’t be motivated by the fear that Sal could cause harm.” Amelia says.

“It has to be a factor.” you sputter. “I’m not going to forget he’s a murderer.”

Amelia looks amused, and it makes you madder. You’re about to open your mouth again when there’s a sharp knock on the door.
>>
No. 988004 ID: 3ed3c3

>"WHO IS IT?!"
>>
No. 988005 ID: 8a51ec

Sal or not, we should just open it
>>
No. 988006 ID: e51896

Just let Amelia answer it. You're kind of upset with her and you would rather have her be preoccupied with whoever is at the door so that she'll leave you alone.
>>
No. 988013 ID: b1b4f3

>>988003
Ok to put every motivation in one place:
You didn't want to fuck up his rehabilitation and get someone killed.
You didn't want to get on his bad side and, while him attacking you was very unlikely, it's possible he'd interfere with your test.
Lastly, he came to you. He was obviously reaching out. Turning someone down when they're at that low a point in their lives... is just not cool, when the drawbacks for you are frankly minor.
>>
No. 988038 ID: eedbeb
File 161331545770.png - (91.83KB , 1000x900 , p92.png )
988038

>”WHO IS IT?!”

Sal sticks his head through the doorway, disgruntled look on his face. “Don’t shout.” he says.
>>
No. 988041 ID: ce39da

"S-sorry. It's not you that I'm actually mad at. I don't regret spending time with you. I guess I'm more frustrated with myself for flubbing the test than anything else - I'm a teacher, goddamnit! If there's anyone who could complete this already short course in half the time, it should be me. I should have had this down, even without it having my undivided attention."
>>
No. 988042 ID: e51896

Ask if he wants to come in and chat.
>>
No. 988045 ID: eedbeb
File 161332987750.png - (119.11KB , 1000x900 , p93.png )
988045

“Sorry.” you grumble. “I’m in a bad mood because I failed my test.”

Sal looks between you and Amelia and nods. “That sucks.”

“Want to chat for a bit?” you ask.

The fish brightens and sits down across from you.
>>
No. 988047 ID: 8a51ec

Now's a good time to finally hug Sal, preferably while mean mugging the hell out of Amelia
>>
No. 988048 ID: 4bd103

>>988047
Seems kinda out of left field.
>>
No. 988050 ID: bb78f2

Sal might not like to be touched. Don't invade his space. Hugs aren't always welcomed by everyone.

I mean, he might like hug, but right now it would be awkward as hell for the both of you, and feel fake as hell.

Ask Sal if he knows about physics.
>>
No. 988051 ID: eb1fcc

>>988047
we're an adult, lmao

lets not do spiteful things like that.
>>
No. 988053 ID: 8a51ec

>>988048
I don't know, Amelia doesn't seem to take our internal conflict with Sal very seriously
>>
No. 988056 ID: 7eb947

Man, don't do anything weird. Just use Sal as a sounding board to bitch at the same way we've been doing with the guard. Relax, decompress until you're in the right headspace to focus on the objective: GTFO.
>>
No. 988062 ID: eedbeb
File 161333771392.png - (127.89KB , 1000x900 , p94.png )
988062

“Do you know how to fly, Sal?”

Sal shakes his head.

“Well apparently I don’t either.” you grumble. “I should get credit for doing so well on the physics section. Just because I can’t use a military grade ship doesn’t mean I’m useless.”

Sal bobs his head. “Physics is good.”

Amelia sits back against the bed and you pointedly ignore her.

“Yeah, you like physics too? What did you study in school?”

“MechE. Was okay.”
>>
No. 988069 ID: 295128

Did you follow up on that career?
>>
No. 988082 ID: afe7de

Tell us about MechE, would be a good distraction.
>>
No. 988103 ID: 3ed3c3

>>988062
How'd that work out for you?
>>
No. 988112 ID: 12b116

There's no reason to get mad at Amelia. She probably doesn't enjoy her job and although you could take what she said as a little condescending, she probably does know what she's talking about.

It is literally her job to kill Sal, so she probably has what you'd call a unique relationship with him.
>>
No. 988114 ID: bb78f2

>>988062
Is that short for mechanical engineering?
>>
No. 988120 ID: 0fbdcd

...mech piloting?
>>
No. 988122 ID: 031458

Man MechE sounds neat. Part of me always wanted to work with my hands, but I figured with my coordination I'd end up cutting off a finger.
Ever make anything cool?
>>
No. 988125 ID: eedbeb
File 161336137214.png - (144.95KB , 1000x900 , p95.png )
988125

“Mechanical engineering? That’s pretty cool, part of me always wanted to work with my hands and make stuff.”

Sal shrugs.

“And how’d that work out? I bet the job market is great for engineers.”

Sal waves one hand in the air, motioning at the cell.

“He’ll get a job once he’s released.” Amelia pipes up. “Maybe in three or four more years.”
>>
No. 988126 ID: 8a51ec

"3 to 4 years? How long has his sentence been so far?"
>>
No. 988130 ID: 3ed3c3

That's great.
As for ourself, we can look forward to no end of familial ridicule, a disappointed sister, and a borderline homicidal mother once we're out.
Honestly, after the hot, streaming mess this entire affair has been, going back to teaching would be a blessing.
After a generous vacation to recuperate, of course.
>>
No. 988131 ID: 0fbdcd

>>988130
Teachers? Vacationing? Ha!
Unless it's summer I guess.
>>
No. 988172 ID: eedbeb
File 161340532713.png - (130.30KB , 1000x900 , p96.png )
988172

That’s sooner than you would expect. “How long have you been in prison, then?” you ask Sal.

“He’s the longest resident by far, been here for maybe three years.” Amelia answers.

You slump against the bed. “I wish I was from this planet. You guys are too nice.”

“We do pay our educators very well.” Amelia says mischievously.
>>
No. 988174 ID: 104e3d

Well, you did mention you dont get paid a lot as a math teacher, and no one respects you at home... people here on the other hand do respect you and if they pay their teachers better, maybe you should just move to this planet and become a math teacher here.

Ask if after you call your sister if you can be allowed to go to a job postings website and find a teaching job on this planet
>>
No. 988180 ID: e2f5cc

>>988172
Well then that's something to keep in mind. Just up and leaving everything you know off a suggestion sadly isn't something you can really do though, so such thoughts will have to wait, probably until you're a free Monty.
>>
No. 988181 ID: 0fbdcd

That's for future planning. But- yeah this whole society actually seems super great, from a surface-level perspective. Consider the value of moving.
...after we GTFO, which remains the core goal. We're putting off calling our sister by keeping this conversation going.
>>
No. 988183 ID: 29467e

I do have two good questions, though I dont know if Monty should ask them.

Why killing and eating fish, especifically?

And how does Amelia cope with looking after and genuinely caring for the guy she has to kill if he commits murder again?
>>
No. 988185 ID: eedbeb
File 161341569475.png - (109.83KB , 1000x900 , p97.png )
988185

>”Amelia, how do you cope with looking after and genuinely caring for the guy you might have to kill?”

Maybe a bit of a bold question, but you’re genuinely curious.

“If I care for him, he’s less likely kill again.” says Amelia. “There’s still more work to do, but we’ve built a relationship on trust and understanding.”

She pauses. “Also I’m pretty hardcore.”
>>
No. 988186 ID: eedbeb
File 161341571168.png - (128.61KB , 1000x900 , p98.png )
988186

You’ve calmed down enough that you’re ready to call your sister. You nod to Amelia and she takes you out of the cell to the now familiar universal phone.

The operator takes a while to get a connection, and the person who picks up isn’t your sister.

It’s your mother.
>>
No. 988187 ID: 094652

Immediately bring the phone to Amelia or record the conversation. Do not hang up.
>>
No. 988189 ID: dc59ca

Just tell her what's happening, she'll find out anyway so it's best to handle it now that you are safe from her in prison.
>>
No. 988190 ID: 030bbb

Mommy, I got arrested for warp speeding across a solar system the GPS didn't tell me it was illegal warp through and now my talking lamp lawyer won't let me blame the GPS and the police won't let me leave.
>>
No. 988195 ID: ce39da

"Mom, why do you have [Sister's Name]'s phone?"

If she asks where we are/why we aren't here: "I got arrested for speeding. I already went over this with [Sister], she understands. I tried to test out of their course early but failed. Sorry."

Nice and polite. However, if she wants to turn this into a shame-argument, go on the offensive for once. Rip her a verbal new one as you explain in excruciating detail just who is responsible for your reluctance to come to these events, how every gathering is just giving her another chance to shame you publicly, how, if she's loathing your conversations as much as you are, you're fully ready to take the final step and simply... stop answering the phone for her.

If that finally puts a chink in her armor, ease off and admit that you're just as frustrated with your current place in life as she is, but teaching is what you're good at. You won't deny that you don't get paid enough, though, but you're looking to change that soon.
>>
No. 988196 ID: 3ed3c3

>Mom, before you even start, let me explain.
>>
No. 988199 ID: eedbeb
File 161342178144.png - (158.89KB , 1000x900 , p99.png )
988199

“Monty, is that you? Brynn is busy getting ready, I was just in the dressing room and I heard her phone ringing.”

You hunch against the phone booth and grit your teeth. “Yeah, mom, it’s me.”

“Brynn told us all about your adventures. I assume this call means that you won’t be joining us.” she says.

You don’t know what it is about your mother that makes you feel like shit. She hasn’t even said anything bad yet, you just can feel the disappointment through the old fashioned receiver.

“Yeah. Sorry. I’ll be out by tomorrow evening, probably.”

“Well, thank you for telling me and I’m glad you’re safe. Guests are coming now and I have to make sure the photographer is ready.”
>>
No. 988201 ID: 8a51ec

"I think "safe" doesn't quite cover everything about my situation, but I'm sure I'll be alright. You'll never believe what I have to tell you once I'm out of here."
>>
No. 988203 ID: bb78f2

What does your Mom do for a living?
Does she have connections?
Maybe she can help you out?
At least if you TRY to take advantage of whatever influence your mother may have, at least she'll think you're not too proud to ask for HELP to get to the wedding reception, or to get there sooner.

Maybe if she works in software or has experience with AI lawyers, should COULD help out.
>>
No. 988205 ID: e55c06

Moving out of your planet and finding a job in this planet is sounding more and more appealing.
>>
No. 988208 ID: 3ed3c3

>Mom, why didn't you warn me ahead of time that there's a ban on warp in this system? It would have spared us both worlds of trouble.
>>
No. 988212 ID: 53560f

Yeah, could you pass this message along to sis too? Thanks and sorry again.
>>
No. 988214 ID: eedbeb
File 161343288084.png - (134.71KB , 1000x900 , p100.png )
988214

Your mom doesn’t hang up, and you wonder if she’s waiting for you to say something. You consider asking for help getting a different lawyer, but her upper middle class influence probably doesn’t extend that far.

"Safe doesn't quite cover everything about my situation, but I'm sure I'll be alright.” you finally say. “Let Brynn know, if you can.”

The call ends and you have one thing left to focus on: passing the flight portion of the test.
>>
No. 988215 ID: eb1fcc

looks like section 3 was our undoing, so lets focus on that.
>>
No. 988219 ID: 4f609c

I thought it was just the situation but... are you always this up tight? Like I get that this is a situation to be on edge about, but it's starting to feel like you might have an anxiety issue.

Why were you speeding yesterday anyway if you could have gotten there if you left a few hours ago? And don't blame the ups, it tries to to drop you to sub light speed when entering inhabited systems by default for a reason.
>>
No. 988221 ID: eedbeb
File 161344038984.png - (105.19KB , 1000x900 , p101.png )
988221

>>988219

monty was trying to make it to the welcome party the first day, which I mistakenly called the reception earlier in the quest. he’s missed that, and now he’s missing the wedding because he lost a 7:3 dice roll. sad.
>>
No. 988223 ID: ce39da

>>988221
It doesn't change the fact that he was clearly worrying too much about the consequences. Even if your mom does chew you out later, it's not the end of the galaxy. You've learned your lesson about procrastinating, and you're also ready to turn the page to a new chapter in your life so your mom won't even have as much to complain about when you do show up for the next event.

>>988214
Get to it, then. Practice the simulator for the rest of the day, focus on the advanced stuff you had trouble with.
>>
No. 988229 ID: 6943b4

Also, practice the combat simulation.
Blast those nazi-communists out of the sky!
>>
No. 988232 ID: bb78f2

If you drove at ftl speeds in reverse around the planet the wedding's on, could you create a reverse time bubble on the entire planet and rewind time three days?
>>
No. 988234 ID: 53560f

We’re gonna have to get some kind of super gift to make up for missing the wedding.
>>
No. 988236 ID: eedbeb
File 161344950396.png - (142.41KB , 1000x900 , p102.png )
988236

While Amelia walks you to the tutoring room, you have an epiphany. Maybe missing the wedding wasn’t as bad as you had thought. When you were procrastinating, it had felt like a gargantuan task, but now you can finally see it from the other side.

Your mom hadn’t even been that mad and you know Brynn understands. Everything is okay. You’ve even made some friends in here.

The weight that you’ve been carrying around since you got to prison eases.
>>
No. 988239 ID: 3ed3c3

>Amelia, I think I just had a self-revelatory moment. I've been making a huge issue out of what amounts to very little. I'll still be able to see my family after this, and I'll be able to congratulate my sister in person. I can't do any anything about being here as it was always out of my hands, and while I admit to being at fault, it's not something that should be held against me. I'll leave this prison wiser and better off, and that's a positive by every account. I'm not about to say that going to prison is the best thing to ever happen to me, but I am glad my situation worked out so well for me.
>>
No. 988240 ID: f36dba

>>988239
In addition “This prison is pretty nice, all things considered.”
>>
No. 988244 ID: b1b4f3

>>988236
Can you really call Sal a friend though?
>>
No. 988261 ID: 0fbdcd

In a way, the pressure is off now. Take your time and study down with Peppy.
>>
No. 988262 ID: eedbeb
File 161349759622.png - (132.52KB , 1000x900 , p103.png )
988262

> ”Amelia, I think I just had a self-revelatory moment. I've been making a huge issue out of going to prison, but I'll still be able to see my family and congratulate my sister in person tomorrow. I missed the wedding, but I'll be leaving this place wiser and better off.”

A broad smile spreads across Amelia’s face. “That’s great to hear, Monty.”

You start smiling too, and your good mood doesn’t falter as Amelia hands you off to Pepper.
>>
No. 988263 ID: 8a51ec

Time is the one thing we've got now, we should be able to mellow out and have a better focus on the sim
>>
No. 988270 ID: 4a16e5

Feels good man.
>>
No. 988277 ID: e8e038

Right, let's ride those good feels to success.
>>
No. 988290 ID: b1b4f3

>>988262
Alright time to grind away at the flight sim. Try the combat sim a few more times too, maybe you can get good at it?
>>
No. 988293 ID: eedbeb
File 161352783194.png - (169.81KB , 1000x900 , p104.png )
988293

Your newfound confidence doesn’t make you a good flier, but it helps you stay positive while you grind away at the simulations. You even try a few advanced evasive maneuvers in the battle sim, and Pepper nods with approval.

After two hours of practice, you’re certain you can pass the test.

-Take the test now
-Spend more time (hanging out) in prison
>>
No. 988294 ID: 8a51ec

Let's not make the same mistake twice and do the test as soon as we can, hanging out comes immediately after
>>
No. 988295 ID: d85a06

I mean, if you deffo aren't gonna make even the reception, might as well hang out. Get Sal and Amelia's contact info at the very least. Sal is interesting enough to keep in touch with, and having a contact on the ground with Amelia will help if you do indeed want to get a teaching job on this world.
If they treat thier to prisoners this well maybe you'll finally get some respect in your job as well if you were here.
>>
No. 988298 ID: b1b4f3

Take test.

Strongly consider not having a serial murderer on your contact list.
>>
No. 988299 ID: 8a51ec

>>988298
I don't care, he's our friend
>>
No. 988300 ID: 094652

More. Time.
You cannot risk failing this exam a second time because... well, you never did find out what the prison can do to those who 'fail reform'.
And make sure you quick quiz yourself on the previous sections!
>>
No. 988301 ID: eedbeb
File 161353414436.png - (139.20KB , 1000x900 , p105.png )
988301

You can’t be more prepared for the test than you already are, and you resolve to take it immediately after dinner. You thank Pepper and find your way back to the cafeteria, where Sal and Amelia have already claimed a table.

You’re feeling optimistic and even ask for Amelia’s number, for networking purposes. Sal doesn’t have any contact information to share, but Amelia assures you she can give you his number once he gets a phone.
>>
No. 988302 ID: e8e038

Honestly, you'd appreciate that.
>>
No. 988303 ID: 0fbdcd

Nice. Now if we ever have to kill a fish we know a guy.
Try to plunge Amelia to see if she has any more info about teaching jobs on this planet. Considering you had an on-call tutor for flight... there's not any crimes involving math you could help teach about, are there?
>>
No. 988323 ID: eedbeb
File 161358230761.png - (137.78KB , 1000x900 , p106.png )
988323

On the walk back to your cell, you ask Amelia if she has any info about teaching jobs here.

“Sure, we have positions open for tutors at the prison, and math teachers are always in strong demand. I’ll send you some links.”

You thank her, and head to your computer to take the test.
>>
No. 988324 ID: eedbeb
File 161358232069.png - (136.75KB , 1000x900 , p107.png )
988324

>You pass

You sigh with relief and see that Amelia has already approved you to leave. Your ship is waiting for you at the entrance garage.

Anything you’d like to do before you depart?
>>
No. 988326 ID: 8a51ec

We should say our goodbyes to Sal and promise to keep in touch when we can, and definitely make sure to ask if he's cool with hugs
Can't wait for 3ed3c3 to have a tantrum to rival "There is no Tanks in Terraria"
>>
No. 988327 ID: 12e18a

Hang out with sal 1 more time
>>
No. 988328 ID: 829779

It is time to say our farewells, call the family to announce our imminent arrival, and call Feiss to FIRE HIS FLAT, PLASTIC BUTT.
>>
No. 988329 ID: 12e18a

Oh yeah, and tell Sal you will see about teaching math here so you two might meet again
>>
No. 988330 ID: 094652

Just call Feiss and ask if there's anything you can do to fix the time bubble.

And brace yourself for a "your sentence has been extended".
>>
No. 988331 ID: b90dc8

congratulations Monty! Waste no time and jump into action. Be sure to say goodbye to Sal. You probably will never see him again, but you genuinely enjoyed being his roommate, for however short the amount of time. Thank Amelia on your way out. She's right, she is pretty hardcore. Now skedaddle!
>>
No. 988332 ID: b90dc8

Also probably call your family at let them know you're on your way.
>>
No. 988333 ID: b1b4f3

>>988328
>fire Feiss
On what grounds? As far as we know, he did everything by the book.
>>
No. 988334 ID: 07ed53

Tell Amelia goodbye and that you hope you'll see her again. And Sal too I guess.
>>
No. 988335 ID: eedbeb
File 161359463702.png - (155.46KB , 1000x900 , p108.png )
988335

>Call Feiss

“Feiss, I’m cleared to leave prison. Is there anything else I need to do?”

“No. You’re free to go.” drones the lamp.

“Well, in that case, you’re fired!” you cackle.
“Our contract ended when you completed your coursework—“

You smirk and hang up. Pettiness feels good.
>>
No. 988336 ID: eedbeb
File 161359465478.png - (130.97KB , 1000x900 , p109.png )
988336

Sal is standing in the living room, and actually turns to look when you come in.

“Hey buddy, I’m about to head out. It’s been a good day and a half getting to know you.”

Sal nods in agreement.

“Hug?” you ask, opening your arms.

Sal shakes his head furiously.

“That’s fine. Hope I see you again one day.”
>>
No. 988337 ID: eedbeb
File 161359466533.png - (108.29KB , 1000x900 , p110.png )
988337

Thanks for reading!
>>
No. 988338 ID: 07ed53

Yay! We did it! We - ok well technically we failed, but we had fun doing it!

Thanks so much for running. It was always a joy to see a new update!
>>
No. 988339 ID: 8a51ec

This was a very fun quest
>>
No. 988340 ID: 3ed3c3

>>988337
That was some good, wholesome fun.
>>
No. 988341 ID: 6a3e9e

What a cool quest! Thanks for sharing!

Do you have an art page or Twitter we can follow you on?
>>
No. 988342 ID: 612369

Wholesome/10

Definitely a feel good read, we need more of these in our lives.
>>
No. 988356 ID: 0fbdcd

Best quest I've read in a while. Thank you!
>>
No. 988363 ID: f8fa51

Excellent, we did it guys! We broke out of prison (by serving our time and walking out)!

And it looks like maybe we needed this anyway.
>>
No. 988369 ID: 6771b8

Epilogue?


Delete post []
Password